If you're experiencing rip errors, please read here first!

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
dcoke22

Re: If you're experiencing rip errors, please read here first!

Post by dcoke22 »

QuiGonLives wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:22 pm
I recently just bought the ASUS Blu ray writer and is unable to rip my Blu-ray through MakeMKV.
It can rip the special features but keeps timing out on the Movie it's self with a "error Device timed out". There is no issues with ripping DVDs.
I presume the drive is connected via SATA. Try a different SATA cable and try a different SATA port on your motherboard.
Bob K

Post by Bob K »

Where is the discussion in the forums for the "easy way to copy the files to your hard drive manually without MakeMKV running and the fast and simple way to convert..." as a possible method for dealing with read errors?
MakeMKV Errors.jpg
MakeMKV Errors.jpg (558.92 KiB) Viewed 1812 times
artura

Post by artura »

I'm having problems with newly released DVDs that have purple coatings rather than the more common silver coatings. When one of these purple DVDs are inserted into my external DVD drive (read/write drive), my Windows 10 PC is unable to detect the DVD. The DVD drive spins up and then after several minutes, spins down and Windows 10 doesn't report any disc in DVD drive in the File Manager. With silver DVDs, this same setup can detect the DVDs.

Does anyone have any experience with these purple DVDs and understand what is happening?

A couple of observations:
  • The purple DVDs seem to be a lot easier to scratch or the purple coating makes scratches easier to spot. However, even purple DVDs without visible scratches aren't being detected.
  • The purple DVDs don't seem to have a lot of data or the purple coating makes the amount of data easier to spot (the data visually being the "dense collection of pitted rings").
Some sample purple DVDs:
  • Nancy Drew Season One
  • Fosse/Verdon
  • New Girl Final Season
- none of the discs in these sets are detected by Windows 10 when loaded in my DVD drive
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The purple disk is a "DVD-R", usually tagged on order pages as "on demand" manufactured. They are used for low-volume titles, and are not "stamped" like regular DVDs.

RightStufAnime.com has a disclaimer on such disks that they "may not work in all drives". I've had one title that had I received 3 copies that failed in the exact same location, when read with a BD drive. I finally had to get out one of my DVD drives to get a good copy.

I don't buy "on demand" disks anymore, if there is any alternative.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
artura

Post by artura »

Woodstock wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:53 pm
RightStufAnime.com has a disclaimer on such disks that they "may not work in all drives". I've had one title that had I received 3 copies that failed in the exact same location, when read with a BD drive. I finally had to get out one of my DVD drives to get a good copy.

I don't buy "on demand" disks anymore, if there is any alternative.
Do you remember which one of your DVD drives was able to read the on-demand disk? Brand and model?

Based on your information, I did some digging:

A few sources state that all DVD-R and DVD+R disks are purple and are most likely to be compatible with old and new DVD drives. My LG DVD drive lists support for DVD-R and DVD+R disks too but for some reason, can't detect these on-demand DVD disks.

The only other DVD drive that I have is a Blu-ray drive - a PS4 - which I'll have to test with an on-demand DVD but given your experience with your BD drive, I'm not sure if I'll have any success with playing the DVD.

I didn't do an extensive search but a couple of sources state that duplicated DVDs - on-demand - are always DVD-R disks. It's not clear if replicated DVDs ever use disks that are purple. I've mostly come across replicated DVDs that are silver and the occasional gold.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I have a Sony from the turn of the century that I can pull out if needed, and another Sony slim-type DVD drive (not USB powered) from around 2008 that I use if a DVD can't be read by the BD drives I normally use.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
artura

Post by artura »

Ok thanks for the info.

I wonder what the deal is with these duplicated/on-demand commercial DVDs (DVD-R) and recent DVD/BD drives.

Amazon, Best Buy, Target, and Walmart aren't identifying these on-demand DVD products on their websites and drive manufacturers list every possible DVD/BD type of support under the sun.