If you're experiencing rip errors, please read here first!

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
yorgo

If you're experiencing rip errors, please read here first!

Post by yorgo »

Not trying to overstep my authority on this forum but given the extreme number of questions about problematic rips, and the equally extreme number of verbatim responses, I put together this suggested read. If Mike or mods feel it needs to be removed, please do so and I apologize. I hope it proves helpful to those new to MakeMKV. To the experienced users, if I've made any errors, let me know and I will correct; if I've missed something, let me know and I'll add.

-------------------

MakeMKV is a fantastic tool for decrypting discs and creating .mkv containers. Having said that, it is not uncommon for errors to arise that prevent the creation of an .mkv. You may encounter these while ripping:

1.) Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:POSITIONING ERROR DETECTED BY READ OF MEDIUM
2.) Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR
3.) Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:NO SEEK COMPLETE
4.) Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:READ RETRIES EXHAUSTED
5.) Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:ILLEGAL MODE FOR THIS TRACK
6.) Scsi error - NOT READY:CANNOT READ MEDIUM - INCOMPATIBLE FORMAT

The first thing to know is that by the time you’ve seen one of these messages, the disc has been successfully decrypted so the problem is NOT decryption-related. The second thing to remember is that just because a disc can be played successfully in a standalone disc player, it does NOT mean that it can be ripped. Standalone disc players will skip over problematic areas on a disc while MakeMKV needs all information on the disc/track to create an .mkv.

If you experience one of these problems, here are some recommended courses of action:

1. Gently clean the disc with a soft cloth. Mild non-abrasive soap and water can also be tried. New discs often have a hazy coating that can prevent ripping, and used/rental discs can have dirt and fingerprints.
2. Replace the disc. Just because a disc “looks” perfect doesn’t mean that it IS perfect. Mastering and manufacturing errors do occur and these will prevent successful rips. Please note that it is not uncommon for you to need to replace a disc more than once; discs are produced in large batches so if a mastering error is laid down on one disc, it makes sense that it could be there on all discs from that batch.
3. Increase “read retry count”. /faq/item/7
4. Try a different or new drive. No two drives are exactly alike so where one may fail to rip, another has no problems. And drives do fail. Also, if you are using an external drive, use one with an external power supply, not one powered by USB. (http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 049#p51440).

This should answer the majority of the “my disc failed to rip” questions and, hopefully, provide a resolution. Should this not work or you need further assistance, please follow the help provided here: /faq/item/8. Additionally, if you feel the need to post about a rip error on the forum, please include the ENTIRE error report from the "conversion screen"; without this, it will be difficult for a forum member to provide accurate guidance.

がんばって!
Last edited by yorgo on Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrionS

Re: If you're experiencing rip errors, please read here firs

Post by BrionS »

Does 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:UNABLE TO RECOVER TABLE-OF-CONTENTS' fall into your list of errors above or is this something else?

A symptom is the drive will spin for a while before failing to read the disc at all (and will display 'no disc') in the icon.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

That's actually one I've never seen, but it really means that the directory of the disk could not be read.

I've seen somewhat similar errors when the disk had cracks in the hub area. While I have one disk with a chunk missing from the hub that does rip just fine (for now), I've had others with cracks that were hard to see that wouldn't rip.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
DingusKahn

Post by DingusKahn »

I've read forums where people report that this issue happens consistently for certain movies.
ruster34

Post by ruster34 »

Ok so I am getting these errors (below) pretty frequently (maybe 25-50% of the time I rip blurays. After reading this post, I tried all the steps to no avail.

*I have tried the same movie, but different physical discs
*Ordered a new drive and tried a 'failing disc' in both drives
*Tried cleaning discs
*Ordered a lens cleaner disc
*Increased read retry count
*Increased read buffer size[/list]

Errors:
Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR
OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR

I really am trying to figure out without bugging you guys, but I'm at a loss.
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

Is the drive an external powered via USB or similar, or an internal one? External USB powered drives have been known to be problematic, an example: https://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopi ... =15#p48743.

I've gone through periods where I've had a high number of failures, but not consistently like what you're experiencing.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Finally got around to taking a picture of the symptoms of chemical haze:

The chemicals those sucker marks are formed in have a tendency to migrate to the disks, and can interfere with the laser. This is especially true if the disk has been on the store shelf for a while - the example above was from a disk set that was so new it isn't supposed to be released until next week, and there was no issue with ripping the BDs; But I have had to clean others that were purchased several months after their initial release.

A damp, soft cloth (cotton or microfiber) will usually clean it off. I've not had to resort to other chemicals.

Edit 2019-11-09: Got a disk set today that is so new it won't be released until 12/10. Sucker marks all over the interior. 4 of 5 disks readable; the 5th, which was closest to the packaging, was unreadable to the point that Windows didn't recognize that there was a disk in the drive. Cleaning didn't seem to make a difference, but changing to a different drive made the problem go away.

The effects of the chemical haze is different on different drives. Some, it doesn't take much to confuse, others are more tolerant.
kb4all

Post by kb4all »

I ripped Arrival and Moonlight on BR last night. Now I receive the following error when trying to rip blu-rays: Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:ILLEGAL MODE FOR THIS TRACK' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH12LS30 1.02' at offset '32768'

So I tried to rip Arrival and Moonlight again this morning and received the same error. However, I tried ripping several DVDs and it worked fine.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Look in your MakeMKV data directory and see if you have any files with names that start with "MKB_v". If so, what is the HIGHEST number after the v?

If it is greater than 62, send the file to support@makemkv.com for Mike to evaluate. Version 1.10.4 of MakeMKV can deal with AACS version 62 or older. It is possible that there is a newer version out there... You can find out more information at /svq/ .
kb4all

Post by kb4all »

Woodstock wrote:Look in your MakeMKV data directory and see if you have any files with names that start with "MKB_v". If so, what is the HIGHEST number after the v?

If it is greater than 62, send the file to support@makemkv.com for Mike to evaluate. Version 1.10.4 of MakeMKV can deal with AACS version 62 or older. It is possible that there is a newer version out there... You can find out more information at /svq/ .
The highest number after the v is 62 (MKB_v62_THE_CONJURING_2) and I am using 1.10.4.
kb4all

Post by kb4all »

kb4all wrote:
Woodstock wrote:Look in your MakeMKV data directory and see if you have any files with names that start with "MKB_v". If so, what is the HIGHEST number after the v?

The highest number after the v is 62 (MKB_v62_THE_CONJURING_2) and I am using 1.10.4.
I just tried ripping HP and the OP and it worked fine now. Go figure.
MVCurt

Post by MVCurt »

ruster34 wrote:Ok so I am getting these errors (below) pretty frequently (maybe 25-50% of the time I rip blurays. After reading this post, I tried all the steps to no avail.

*I have tried the same movie, but different physical discs
*Ordered a new drive and tried a 'failing disc' in both drives
*Tried cleaning discs
*Ordered a lens cleaner disc
*Increased read retry count
*Increased read buffer size[/list]

Errors:
OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR

I really am trying to figure out without bugging you guys, but I'm at a loss.
For the first time ever I get these 2 errors multiple times when trying to rip a brand new disc that I got today.
Tried 2 different blu-ray drives as well.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If you see "device not ready" errors after a read or seek error, it can be because the drive cannot operate reliably at the speeds MakeMKV is capable of ripping. This is often the case with USB-powered drives... once the speed gets above 5 to 6x, the power becomes inadequate.

Some other programs do not process data as fast as MakeMKV, and can make their way through a disk without error. They simply do not ask for data at the same rate. Quite a few of us have suggested to Mike that he add a "rate limit" to combat this.
MVCurt

Post by MVCurt »

Woodstock wrote:If you see "device not ready" errors after a read or seek error, it can be because the drive cannot operate reliably at the speeds MakeMKV is capable of ripping. This is often the case with USB-powered drives... once the speed gets above 5 to 6x, the power becomes inadequate.

Some other programs do not process data as fast as MakeMKV, and can make their way through a disk without error. They simply do not ask for data at the same rate. Quite a few of us have suggested to Mike that he add a "rate limit" to combat this.
ok but I tried on two different blu-ray drives....one internal and one external,same error on both drives.
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

Whenever I've encountered this error, it's because of somekind of disc damage or manufacturing error (tried in up to 3 separate drives, failure at same location/timeframe). Cleaning sometimes works but I usually need to replace the disc.