If you're experiencing rip errors, please read here first!

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
dcoke22

Re: If you're experiencing rip errors, please read here first!

Post by dcoke22 »

QuiGonLives wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:22 pm
I recently just bought the ASUS Blu ray writer and is unable to rip my Blu-ray through MakeMKV.
It can rip the special features but keeps timing out on the Movie it's self with a "error Device timed out". There is no issues with ripping DVDs.
I presume the drive is connected via SATA. Try a different SATA cable and try a different SATA port on your motherboard.
Bob K

Post by Bob K »

Where is the discussion in the forums for the "easy way to copy the files to your hard drive manually without MakeMKV running and the fast and simple way to convert..." as a possible method for dealing with read errors?
MakeMKV Errors.jpg
MakeMKV Errors.jpg (558.92 KiB) Viewed 53497 times
artura

Post by artura »

I'm having problems with newly released DVDs that have purple coatings rather than the more common silver coatings. When one of these purple DVDs are inserted into my external DVD drive (read/write drive), my Windows 10 PC is unable to detect the DVD. The DVD drive spins up and then after several minutes, spins down and Windows 10 doesn't report any disc in DVD drive in the File Manager. With silver DVDs, this same setup can detect the DVDs.

Does anyone have any experience with these purple DVDs and understand what is happening?

A couple of observations:
  • The purple DVDs seem to be a lot easier to scratch or the purple coating makes scratches easier to spot. However, even purple DVDs without visible scratches aren't being detected.
  • The purple DVDs don't seem to have a lot of data or the purple coating makes the amount of data easier to spot (the data visually being the "dense collection of pitted rings").
Some sample purple DVDs:
  • Nancy Drew Season One
  • Fosse/Verdon
  • New Girl Final Season
- none of the discs in these sets are detected by Windows 10 when loaded in my DVD drive
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The purple disk is a "DVD-R", usually tagged on order pages as "on demand" manufactured. They are used for low-volume titles, and are not "stamped" like regular DVDs.

RightStufAnime.com has a disclaimer on such disks that they "may not work in all drives". I've had one title that had I received 3 copies that failed in the exact same location, when read with a BD drive. I finally had to get out one of my DVD drives to get a good copy.

I don't buy "on demand" disks anymore, if there is any alternative.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
artura

Post by artura »

Woodstock wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:53 pm
RightStufAnime.com has a disclaimer on such disks that they "may not work in all drives". I've had one title that had I received 3 copies that failed in the exact same location, when read with a BD drive. I finally had to get out one of my DVD drives to get a good copy.

I don't buy "on demand" disks anymore, if there is any alternative.
Do you remember which one of your DVD drives was able to read the on-demand disk? Brand and model?

Based on your information, I did some digging:

A few sources state that all DVD-R and DVD+R disks are purple and are most likely to be compatible with old and new DVD drives. My LG DVD drive lists support for DVD-R and DVD+R disks too but for some reason, can't detect these on-demand DVD disks.

The only other DVD drive that I have is a Blu-ray drive - a PS4 - which I'll have to test with an on-demand DVD but given your experience with your BD drive, I'm not sure if I'll have any success with playing the DVD.

I didn't do an extensive search but a couple of sources state that duplicated DVDs - on-demand - are always DVD-R disks. It's not clear if replicated DVDs ever use disks that are purple. I've mostly come across replicated DVDs that are silver and the occasional gold.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I have a Sony from the turn of the century that I can pull out if needed, and another Sony slim-type DVD drive (not USB powered) from around 2008 that I use if a DVD can't be read by the BD drives I normally use.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
artura

Post by artura »

Ok thanks for the info.

I wonder what the deal is with these duplicated/on-demand commercial DVDs (DVD-R) and recent DVD/BD drives.

Amazon, Best Buy, Target, and Walmart aren't identifying these on-demand DVD products on their websites and drive manufacturers list every possible DVD/BD type of support under the sun.
LimaAlphaHotel

Post by LimaAlphaHotel »

Interestingly I've got 2 blu-rays, one with obvious physical damage (err..a scratch), one brand new and neither would not rip with "Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:ILLEGAL MODE FOR THIS TRACK" (https://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/7/catid/6) followed by "IO Error".

Since the first one had damage I assumed the disk was broken and beyond hope but when it happened again with my brand-new disk, which looked pristine, I became suspicious and tried ripping it with my external USB drive (instead of either of the internal ones I usually use) - and both disks worked first time with zero errors!

It really does seem that the drive might be the source of the problem in some cases. Age maybe a factor - the internal drives (which have issues) are older, the oldest refuses to read any disks manufactured in about the last 5 years (simply refuses to acknowledge there is a disk in the drive when one is inserted) but is fine with older disks. Both of the older drives are LG, the newer one Pioneer but I guess that age has more to do with it than the drive manufacturer.

My internal drives are:

HL-DT-ST DVDRWBD CT10N (LG branded slim-line BD-ROM/CD-burner drive from a Dell laptop circa 2009 - refuses to read any recent disks but happily rips anything from the same time)
HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CH10LS20 (LG branded 5.25" Blu-Ray burner drive circa 2010 - reads all but these 2 disks from my collection)

My USB drive is a Pioneer BDR-XD05TB I bought in 2019. It reads these 2 disks fine.

These are 2 disks out of around 230 Blu-Rays in my collection, none of the rest of which I have had a problem with in the 2010 LG drive (if the 2009 one hasn't liked them).
astb41

Post by astb41 »

anyone know what this means?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-06-12 at 12.24.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-12 at 12.24.51 PM.png (220.91 KiB) Viewed 47904 times
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

That means your drive was unable to correctly read several spots on the disc. The disc might be damaged or dirty. Have you tried gently cleaning the disc? Or, can you try the disc in a different drive?
schratt0r

Post by schratt0r »

hey, new to this forum..

i am experiencing exactly the same issues.

adventure time, complete seasons, containing 10 blu rays. everything works fine, except for 2 discs.

funny thing:

i returned the complete blu ray box, and got a new one. same 2 discs fail.
i returned the drive (BD-RE BU40N), received a new one, same 2 discs fail.

it IS NOT cleaning discs, it IS NOT the drive, as even windows recognizes these 2 discs and even VLC is playing them happily, as well as the 8 year old PS4.

dunno, but aacs is fine, obviously vlc is able to play them, BD+ doesnt seem to be a problem either.

please let me know what i could do to help analyzing.

thank you
mespi56923

Post by mespi56923 »

i'm experiencing an error that i can't seem to fix. any blu-ray i try to rip will not. there are no errors given in makemkv. my drive just ejects the blu-ray. i've tried dvds, they rip just fine using makemkv, but any blu-ray i insert, starts to spin like the application is attempting to read what disc it is and then after almost a minute, just ejects the blu-ray disc, with no error on the screen. i've tried changing the directory folder, nothing. one recommendation was to use HashKeys, which i'm not sure what those are, but i can't even find any oddly. any help?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

mespi56923 wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:23 pm
i'm experiencing an error that i can't seem to fix. any blu-ray i try to rip will not. there are no errors given in makemkv. my drive just ejects the blu-ray. i've tried dvds, they rip just fine using makemkv, but any blu-ray i insert, starts to spin like the application is attempting to read what disc it is and then after almost a minute, just ejects the blu-ray disc, with no error on the screen. i've tried changing the directory folder, nothing. one recommendation was to use HashKeys, which i'm not sure what those are, but i can't even find any oddly. any help?
This is either a bad disc or bad drive nothing to do with makemkv.
It maybe the Blu-ray laser is dead you can take apart the drive and clean it.
But I would say it's only a 50% chance it fixes it.
It's probably time for a new drive
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
tasat

Post by tasat »

I was able to fix three discs that repeatedly failed due to uncorrectable errors, and I haven't seen this method posted before so I thought it's worth sharing.

First of all, I did try the common troubleshooting steps (update MakeMKV, clean the discs multiple times, use Pledge/furniture polish). I was working with a brand new set of discs, but they were double-stacked in the case, and the trouble discs all had small, circumferential scratches that I thought were the culprit. I had a bar of Osborn 3101 buffing compound (maroon stuff) that I use for some metal work, and I thought it might be a fine enough abrasive to round over the edges of the scratches, so I took a paper towel, moistened it with isopropyl, applied buffing compound to the paper towel, and gently polished the scratched areas with small circular motions. This didn't remove the scratches completely, the aim is just to round over the edges so that the disc drive has an easier time coping with the bad optics. After a minute or two (never letting the paper towel dry out), I washed the whole disc with isopropyl to remove any residual buffing compound, then did a final polish with Pledge and wiped clean with a microfiber. This fixed all three of my discs on the first try.
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

I've done blu ray and DVD discs. Occasionally, a blu ray disc does not rip. Never had a problem with DVD. Now since the 17.1 upgrade DVDs are not recognized and then ejected. Some blu rays rip fine. But some get recognized, rip for a while, then the output stops, the time remaining increases for a while, then the disc ejects. I can save all the small files, just not the main file.