If you're experiencing rip errors, please read here first!

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Mondays

Re: If you're experiencing rip errors, please read here first!

Post by Mondays »

jonghotti wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:06 pm
The gentleman from, hey Mondays where are you from?
He’s correct, time for a new drive!

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17829
From the US. Just replaced my LG Electronics Blu-ray DVD Writer (UH12NS40) with an ASUS BW-16D1HT

I made sure to get a drive that was Libre compatible. Even though I have no idea what it is and why I want it. Seems like I need to find updated firmware if I want it.

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 3.10
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)

Made sure to purchase with a squaretrade warranty so when this one craps out in about 2 years I can get a replacement almost free.
Unibrowser

Post by Unibrowser »

Mondays wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:45 pm
jonghotti wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:06 pm
The gentleman from, hey Mondays where are you from?
He’s correct, time for a new drive!

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17829
From the US. Just replaced my LG Electronics Blu-ray DVD Writer (UH12NS40) with an ASUS BW-16D1HT

I made sure to get a drive that was Libre compatible. Even though I have no idea what it is and why I want it. Seems like I need to find updated firmware if I want it.

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 3.10
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)

Made sure to purchase with a squaretrade warranty so when this one craps out in about 2 years I can get a replacement almost free.
I have the same drive. You have to flash it with 3.0 OEM firmware or do what ilI did and get the modified MK3.10 off of this forum.
This is the way
cloudwarrior

Post by cloudwarrior »

I found my problem was the USB 3.0 port connecting my external DVD drive. I plugged in my external drive to one of the front USB ports and everything works perfectly. Seems like the backports are getting interferrence from the motherboard and the front ones seems to have its independent power supply. One more way to try here.
lordmortis

Post by lordmortis »

So I just got a read error on the australian version of Steven Universe Season 3. Turning debug on gave the following output:

Code: Select all

Saving 1 titles into directory /srv/storage/needs_sorting/rips
DEBUG: Code 0 at )RFVL5CUmZyDE*/q>f>v:121263360
DEBUG: Code 1 at 3zf5*-%QoGe{\"q):121264165
DEBUG: Code 0 at ku7g(Yx7:%;q<))^gYt\}:29400140
LIBMKV_TRACE: Exception: Error while reading input
Failed to save title 0 to file /srv/storage/needs_sorting/rips/title_t00.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed
Backing up disc into folder "/srv/storage/needs_sorting/rips/backup/STEVEN_UNIVERSE_S3"
Using LibreDrive mode (v05 id=067EFCA8EA7E)
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Backup done
Opening files on harddrive at /srv/storage/needs_sorting/rips/backup/STEVEN_UNIVERSE_S3
Title #00019.mpls(2) has length of 6 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 00004.mpls was added as title #0
File 00002.mpls was added as title #1
Title #00041.m2ts has length of 6 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00045.m2ts has length of 80 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00027.m2ts has length of 0 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00033.m2ts has length of 6 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00037.m2ts has length of 6 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00032.m2ts has length of 14 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00036.m2ts has length of 72 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 00040.m2ts was added as title #2
Title #00030.m2ts has length of 0 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00034.m2ts has length of 1 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00042.m2ts has length of 27 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00038.m2ts has length of 35 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00039.m2ts has length of 6 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00029.m2ts has length of 35 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00031.m2ts has length of 7 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00035.m2ts has length of 6 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Operation successfully completed
Saving 1 titles into directory /srv/storage/needs_sorting/rips
DEBUG: Code 0 at )RFVL5CUmZyDE*/q>f>v:121263360
DEBUG: Code 1 at 3zf5*-%QoGe{\"q):121264165
LIBMKV_TRACE: Exception: Error while reading input
Failed to save title 1 to file /srv/storage/needs_sorting/rips/title_t01.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed
Interestingly enough, I'm reasonably certain it's not the disc itself, as I _was_ able to do a decrypted backup and my kernel logs showed no read errors. I've also taken a look at the resulting output via mpv.io and it seems to play at roughly the same place. I'm compressing everything with handbrake now and will update when I know more.
THEEXer

Post by THEEXer »

Hello all.

I'm having an issue ripping Blu Rays. The DVD's work fine, but I have tried 10 different Blu Rays for different movies - some I even opened the packaging to try - and it no longer works. They used to work fine up until this last week. They would fail here and there but I would try it again and it would work again.

My question if this is MakeMKV setting/issue or for some reason, or would my external drive only fail on Blu Rays but not DVD's? I've been doing DVD's ever since I started having the issue with Blu Rays and have no run into any issues at all there.

The error is the main read error I see on this thread. I have tried duplicating the discs in full and just specific titles, with no luck either way.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Knowing what errors you are getting makes it a lot easier to guess at the issue.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Koondog

Post by Koondog »

I'm getting the following error message below , But the issue isn't my Blu Ray drive. it's brand new. This issue is only happening with 2 Blu Ray Movies so far.

MakeMKV errors classification
You were directed to this page because MakeMKV encountered errors during processing. These errors all fall into one category usually caused by a single failure. The detailed error description is below.

M2TS hash check error
Almost each Blu-ray disc contains so called content hash file. Designed as part of AACS protection, this file has a very useful property exploited by MakeMKV - having this file it is possible to verify that M2TS file loaded from the disc is not corrupt. If present on the disc, MakeMKV computes and compares hashes of M2TS files automatically. When hashes do not match, you get this error.

Hash check error essentially means that the drive was unable to read the file from the disc, and what more, instead of raising the read error it silently returned corrupted data. Getting this error usually means a failing Blu-ray drive.
Hardback247

Post by Hardback247 »

I'm trying to rip the movie from the Blu-Ray of Fantasia from the 2010 2-Movie Collection, but I keep on getting errors. I have MakeMKV v1.15.2, and the drive I use is a LG Mercury Pro Optical OWCMRSFW8U3 External Blu-Ray drive.

Here is the error I got:

Hash check failed for file 00125.m2ts at offset 14344710144, file is corrupt.
Too many hash check errors in file 00125.m2ts.
Failed to save title 7 to file
Encountered 89 errors of type 'HashCheck Error' - see http://www.makemkv.com/errors/hashcheck/...
0 titles saved, 1 failed

Could someone please help me? What do I do to make it work?
steve4424

Post by steve4424 »

In my evaluation period for MakeMKV now for a few days and working to archive a set of Blu-Ray and DVD discs. I like the program, very handy but am having the following issue.

I have an iMac, Catalina 10.15.6, USB 3.0 with type A connectors, latest version of MakeMKV, and an external Blu-Ray drive, a 'Slimtype' from Amazon, model BD E DS4E1S in a case that requires USB and a separate power supply, which I'm providing (5A, 2V, it works). The highest AACS version is 68.

All the standard DVDs archive without issue. About half the Blu Ray discs I try (10 of 21 so far) end up with one or both of these two errors:

Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR
Posix error - Input/output error' occurred while reading '/dev/rdisk7' at offset .....

From your docs, I gather this is a read error and suggests that MakeMKV can't read the disc. I've tried all the clean/wipe ideas suggested here (including Pledge !?!); this occasional works but some discs just fail to archive. So now I'm wondering if it is the drive. The Blu Ray discs that fail to archive do play in my Sony Blu-Ray player in the entertainment system.

So perhaps I need a different drive. Because I'm Mac-based I need a Blu-Ray in an external case with a USB connection. Which one for a Mac?

Thanks in advance. I'd attach a log of one of the failed attempts but I don't think it matters here.
KiraTM

Post by KiraTM »

Hello, I'm experiencing this issue too since today.
I've been using MakeMKV for several years now to rip my DVD and BD collection, there were no issues until now.

I'm trying to rip the complete collection of "Married with Children", German version. The first 20 DVDs (Season 1-7) were ripped without any problems. Since season 8, MakeMKV began to have longer loading and ripping times, ending in a message "saved X titles, Y titles had errors".

Sometimes it's the SCSI error MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR at offset xxxxxxxx, somteimes a POSIX error Input/Output error at offset xxxxxxxx.
If I try to rip a disc again, it fails at the exact same offsets.
The DVD collection was newly-sealed, the DVDs are unscratched and were only put out to place them into the drive.

I tried to increase the number of read repeatings without success.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

"Sealed" means the packaging contamination is still "fresh". The longer they are sealed, the longer the chemical contamination has to transfer from the packaging to the disks. That's why it is a good idea to clean the disks, even when they "look perfect!", because our eyes do not see the same perfection as a laser trying to find microscopic holes in a substrate.
steve4424

Post by steve4424 »

Woodstock, thanks for that, I'll remember that on new discs. The Blu-ray discs I have are a bit older and have been out of their packaging. As mentioned, I did do cleaning. Isopropyl alcohol saved a couple so I'm sure that's an issue. But some still don't fly even after a good clean.

For me I think the 'slimtype' drive may not be the best. If anyone has advice on an external Blu-ray reader for a Mac, I'd appreciate it.
KiraTM

Post by KiraTM »

Thanks, I wasn't aware of chemical contamination.
I tried cleaning the first failing disc with water and some soft soap, well it still fails ripping specific titles. I can provide a log this time:

Code: Select all

Direkter Zugriffsmodus wird verwendet
LibreDrive mode for this drive is only possible with firmware upgrade (id=F8B3C9080B22)
IFO-Datei für VTS #25 ist beschädigt, die VOB-Datei muss gescannt werden. Das kann viel Zeit in Anspruch nehmen, bitte haben Sie Geduld.
Titel #1 wurde hinzugefügt (5 cell(s), 0:22:52)
CELLs 2-end wurden wegen CELL-Befehlen übersprungen (evt. Strukturschutz)
CELLs 1-12 wurden vom Titelstart entfernt
CELLs 38-49 wurden vom Titelende entfernt
Titel #2/0/1 wurde hinzugefügt (25 cell(s), 0:22:52)
CELLs 1-10 wurden vom Titelstart entfernt
Titel #3/0/1 wurde hinzugefügt (27 cell(s), 0:22:53)
CELLs 44-end wurden wegen CELL-Befehlen übersprungen (evt. Strukturschutz)
Titel #4/0/1 wurde hinzugefügt (4 cell(s), 0:21:38)
CELLs 1-11 wurden vom Titelstart entfernt
Titel #5/0/1 wurde hinzugefügt (26 cell(s), 0:22:51)
CELLs 39-50 wurden vom Titelende entfernt
Titel #6/0/1 wurde hinzugefügt (28 cell(s), 0:22:38)
CELLs 1-11 wurden vom Titelstart entfernt
CELLs 43-54 wurden vom Titelende entfernt
Titel #7/0/1 wurde hinzugefügt (31 cell(s), 0:22:53)
CELLs 37-48 wurden vom Titelende entfernt
Titel #8/0/1 wurde hinzugefügt (26 cell(s), 0:22:52)
CELLs 40-end wurden wegen CELL-Befehlen übersprungen (evt. Strukturschutz)
Titel #9/0/1 wurde hinzugefügt (4 cell(s), 0:21:09)
Titel #10 hat eine Länge von 14 Sekunden und wurde übersprungen, da die minimale Titellänge 60 Sekunden beträgt
[...]
Titel #24 hat eine Länge von 7 Sekunden und wurde übersprungen, da die minimale Titellänge 60 Sekunden beträgt
Die Aufgabe wurde erfolgreich abgeschlossen
5 Titel werden in Verzeichnis /mnt/Daten/Serien/Married_with_Children_S8_Disc2 gespeichert

Fehler 'SCSI-Fehler - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' trat auf während des Auslesens von '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_1.VOB' bei Offset '12253184'
Fehler 'Posix-Fehler - Input/output error' trat auf während des Auslesens von '/dev/sr0' bei Offset '12253184'
Fehler 'Posix-Fehler - Input/output error' trat auf während des Auslesens von '/dev/sr0' bei Offset '12253184'
Fehler 'SCSI-Fehler - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' trat auf während des Auslesens von '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_1.VOB' bei Offset '12253184'
Titel 2 in Datei /mnt/Daten/Serien/Married_with_Children_S8_Disc2/title_t02.mkv zu speichern schlug fehl
Fehler 'SCSI-Fehler - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' trat auf während des Auslesens von '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_1.VOB' bei Offset '12122112'
Fehler 'Posix-Fehler - Input/output error' trat auf während des Auslesens von '/dev/sr0' bei Offset '12122112'
Fehler 'Posix-Fehler - Input/output error' trat auf während des Auslesens von '/dev/sr0' bei Offset '12122112'
Fehler 'SCSI-Fehler - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' trat auf während des Auslesens von '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_1.VOB' bei Offset '12122112'
Fehler 'SCSI-Fehler - HARDWARE ERROR:TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT' trat auf während des Auslesens von '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_1.VOB' bei Offset '12122112'
Titel 4 in Datei /mnt/Daten/Serien/Married_with_Children_S8_Disc2/title_t04.mkv zu speichern schlug fehl
Fehler 'SCSI-Fehler - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' trat auf während des Auslesens von '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_06_1.VOB' bei Offset '16572416'
Fehler 'Posix-Fehler - Input/output error' trat auf während des Auslesens von '/dev/sr0' bei Offset '16572416'
Fehler 'Posix-Fehler - Input/output error' trat auf während des Auslesens von '/dev/sr0' bei Offset '16572416'
Fehler 'SCSI-Fehler - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' trat auf während des Auslesens von '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_06_1.VOB' bei Offset '16572416'
Titel 5 in Datei /mnt/Daten/Serien/Married_with_Children_S8_Disc2/title_t05.mkv zu speichern schlug fehl
Fehler 'SCSI-Fehler - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' trat auf während des Auslesens von '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_07_1.VOB' bei Offset '16525312'
Fehler 'Posix-Fehler - Input/output error' trat auf während des Auslesens von '/dev/sr0' bei Offset '16525312'
Fehler 'Posix-Fehler - Input/output error' trat auf während des Auslesens von '/dev/sr0' bei Offset '16525312'
Fehler 'SCSI-Fehler - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' trat auf während des Auslesens von '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_07_1.VOB' bei Offset '16525312'
Fehler 'SCSI-Fehler - HARDWARE ERROR:TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT' trat auf während des Auslesens von '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_07_1.VOB' bei Offset '16525312'
Fehler 'SCSI-Fehler - HARDWARE ERROR:TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT' trat auf während des Auslesens von '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_07_1.VOB' bei Offset '16525312'
Titel 6 in Datei /mnt/Daten/Serien/Married_with_Children_S8_Disc2/title_t06.mkv zu speichern schlug fehl
Fehler 'SCSI-Fehler - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' trat auf während des Auslesens von '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_08_1.VOB' bei Offset '16590848'
Fehler 'Posix-Fehler - Input/output error' trat auf während des Auslesens von '/dev/sr0' bei Offset '16590848'
Fehler 'Posix-Fehler - Input/output error' trat auf während des Auslesens von '/dev/sr0' bei Offset '16590848'
Fehler 'SCSI-Fehler - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' trat auf während des Auslesens von '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_08_1.VOB' bei Offset '16590848'
Titel 7 in Datei /mnt/Daten/Serien/Married_with_Children_S8_Disc2/title_t07.mkv zu speichern schlug fehl

Encountered 35 errors of type 'Read Error' - see http://www.makemkv.com/errors/dvdread/
0 Titel wurden gesichert, 5 schlugen fehl
I'll try the same as steve4424 and will clean the other discs too, maybe it helps a few discs.

I think, it's interesting that this problem doesn't occur on random discs, rather all discs since season 8 have issues. Maybe it actually was a manufacturing problem starting with that one disc?
However, I'll also try ripping the DVDs with a friends' PC, but I'm sure, she has the exact same drive built-in as mine...
treestreet

Post by treestreet »

Hi. I tried Posting my error in a separate post, but was directed here instead. This post did not help me. I'm trying to rip Mr Robot Season 2 from the recent Complete Collection release. Only one episode rips correctly I get OS and SCSI Errors. I have Tried this under Windows 10 2004, Fedora 32, and Gentoo Sabayon. This is my error log

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00800.m2ts' at offset '11360796672'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00800.m2ts' at offset '11360993280'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '11360993280'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '11360993280'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00800.m2ts' at offset '11361189888'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00800.m2ts' at offset '11361386496'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '11361386496'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '11361386496'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00800.m2ts' at offset '11361644544'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00800.m2ts' at offset '11363088384'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '11363088384'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '11363088384'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00800.m2ts' at offset '11365251072'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '11365251072'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00800.m2ts' at offset '11427053568'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '11427053568'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '11427053568'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00800.m2ts' at offset '11427053568'
Failed to save title 0 to file F:/Video/Mr. Robot- Season Two (Disc 1)/Mr. Robot- Season Two (Disc 1)_t00.mkv
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00801.m2ts' at offset '5430245376'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00801.m2ts' at offset '5430312960'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00801.m2ts' at offset '5430509568'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '5430509568'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00801.m2ts' at offset '5430706176'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '5430706176'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '5430706176'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00801.m2ts' at offset '5430706176'
Failed to save title 1 to file F:/Video/Mr. Robot- Season Two (Disc 1)/Mr. Robot- Season Two (Disc 1)_t01.mkv
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Hint: Disks that are unreadable on one operating system will continue to be unreadable on others. When the drive says it cannot get correct data, you have to fix that.

As mentioned WAY at the start of this topic, start by cleaning the disk. Yes, even if it "looks perfect".