Pgm hangs verifying integrity of M2TS files

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
BestRip

Pgm hangs verifying integrity of M2TS files

Post by BestRip »

Hi,
Ripping "Fifth Element" BD worked fine, but when trying another slightly more obscure BD called "Dogora" the program will hang while starting to verify integrity of M2TS files. The drive keeps blinking for another minute or two but the program says "doesn't answer" in name list. The disc is playable on an old LG BD player (the only one I have:).
Is there a simple cure for this?
Bestrip
Woodstock

Re: Pgm hangs verifying integrity of M2TS files

Post by Woodstock »

I would make sure you have debug logging turned on (see FAQ in my signature), try the backup again, and send the log to support@makemkv.com for Mike to look at.

You can also try doing an Open/Save rip, where MKV files are created, to see if it responds differently. MakeMKV checks the hash values on both methods, but it treats the files individually when ripping to MKV, whereas it does the hash check as a group during backup.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
BestRip

Post by BestRip »

I have run a log-file and mailed it.
I'm totally new to this type of video conversion and must admit that after having tried some different ways to make an Open/Save rip I failed completely and have no idea how to make such a ripping.
Thank you for your patience. :)
BestRip
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Open is the big button that looks like a disk spinning in the drive while it's reading the disk. Click it, and MakeMKV will read the directory and present you with a list of titles that are at least as long as your minimum size (default is 120 seconds). You can select from that list, optionally remove tracks within titles, then click the "Make MKV" button in the upper right corner, and away it goes, converting the titles into MKV files.

There are some this shared between "backup" and "open/save" modes, but some things are different, which is why it's worth testing both ways when problems pop up.
BestRip

Post by BestRip »

Thank you!

However it is in the middle of this scanning of the integrity of the M2TS that the pgm hangs up in a loop trying to handle or work around an error in 0007.m2ts.

The log file:

"The source file '/BDMV/STREAM/00007.m2ts' is corrupt or invalid at offset 18432, attempting to work around
tp=PZcLG/aNTNW6HmgQwNoJXEBJ6t4LiQAoTtlI2SMseXAHRX2pmLskd0wUsu/mM8Tzzf+Jxc6TVZAB0QeyChQLNmYMqC3SbNE21t5NE8hHXUHp+GjelAvOAE3T5DyI+9aDN24wyHqrdaHfELEPukotExiEky6Mlwvq+gKXgUrMdV2HH4Je3dW9MqQt6KJECTEZPuuCPBD39bj79D5HNnnnkpRtqfUCjIRechmDuoFmRSdZw6Nh1+Oh+Kz7OIBE=
DEBUG: Code 0 at n7~l+lH59WZ+0;g$ai?L:121262647
tp=P6+U9KmXCxv2jUzVuh5oEMDaCVxASereC4kAKE7ZSNkjLHlwB0V9qZi7JHdMFLLv5jPE883/icXOk1WQAdEHsgoUCzZmDKgt0mzRNtbeTRPIR11B6fho3pQLzgBN0+Q8iPvWgzduMMh6q3Wh3xCxD7pKLRMYhJMujJcL6voCl4FKzHVdhx+CXt3VvTKkLeiiRAkxGT7rgjwQ9/W4+/Q+RzZ555KUban1AoyEXnIZg7qBZkUnWcOjYdfjofis+ziAR
004004:0000

The source file '/BDMV/STREAM/00007.m2ts' is corrupt or invalid at offset 18432, attempting to work around
tp=PwH/mPjuJ73aRrwzxMMxFhuz/vuuOiTqsGRLiu99ccrzy/mcd/2zCUxOeqylpPgB+E7SHR9wWZHV0zqDdG8ZWjBzWd3YwFacvaoaLd4ZMamQVzYApDi9HaI96rpZwABIe4N7Rpqf8DtgTlghaJI+2NiUEXAnHR5qGnaitJN/14s/qKgJLOOtBa+Sul0iYMNVKuXdWrBVIzLuo5RR7GhFyUjATOFxMsiNUuv3aoKZ6X+TWrPzf0Wx/9UrIpHg=
DEBUG: Code 0 at n7~l+lH59WZ+0;g$ai?L:121262647
tp=PnUBErsB/5j47ie92ka8M8TDMRYbs/77rjok6rBkS4rvfXHK88v5nHf9swlMTnqspaT4AfhO0h0fcFmR1dM6g3RvGVowc1nd2MBWnL2qGi3eGTGpkFc2AKQ4vR2iPeq6WcAASHuDe0aan/A7YE5YIWiSPtjYlBFwJx0eahp2orSTf9eLP6ioCSzjrQWvkrpdImDDVSrl3VqwVSMy7qOUUexoRclIwEzhcTLIjVLr92qCmel/k1qz839Fsf/VKyKR4
004004:0000"

This keeps looping indefinitely.

I am hoping for some miracle solution as I would really like to have this film on my pc and phone.
Perhaps firmware update? on the pc BD player.
Or... I don't know...

BestRip
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

It does throw some more light on the situation... one of the M2TS files has a spot that can't be read by the drive. It should NOT loop indefinitely on it, though. The first thing to try would be cleaning the disk, in case it's just a fingerprint causing all the concern.

If that fails, I'd suggest gathering up the files asked for in the FAQ link in my signature, and sending them to support@makemkv.com for Mike to look at.

It is possible with the open/save method to de-select everything except the main feature, and see if that rips. It may be that the troublesome m2ts file is part of an "extra".
BestRip

Post by BestRip »

I give up... :(

After having been able to play this disc on my LG BD370 10 times or so, it now refuses to play there as well. Cleaning until not a spec of dust nor any scratches/fingerprints left, trying to load still fails every time. How can this be?

I bought this film from Amazon UK (a first purchase failed because I had not observed it was a US import and my LG player did not play region 1 discs.)... so this is a second purchase of this film, and it came as a German issue of the film... (since there is no dialogue it doesn't matter as long as it is a region 2 disc I thought.) But that it was limited to 10 shows I had no idea. :?

A couple of questions:
Will MakeMKV handle any region coded films or does my player and the disc have to be same region for MakeMKV to be able to perform its magic?
Do I run the same risk of malfunction in MakeMKV if I order a new copy of the film?
I have a copy of the main film-file 00003.m2ts on my hard drive now, is there any way I should be able to rip or play this file? ("Power DVD does not support playback of this media format" it proudly announces.)

Very happy for any tip at all helping me get this film on my pc...
BestRip

...and yes I gathered the files and sent them but got the unfortunate response that "The error basically means that the data on the disc is corrupt beyond repair. This likely is a blu-ray drive issue."
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV generally doesn't care about regions. Some drives will fight bitterly to enforce region coding, but there really aren't that many. I buy DVDs and BDs from Europe with some regularity, as well as from Japan, and MakeMKV happily rips them.

Drives will let you change their (DVD) region code 5 times, some 10 times. But MakeMKV will brute-force the region portion of the the encryption if the drive isn't "set right". My primary drive still doesn't have a set region.
BestRip

Post by BestRip »

An update,

I was offered a replacement disc from the very generous Amazon seller. When I got the new disc it behaved just like the previous one. I then managed to get a hold of another very simple LG BD player (BD550) and to my big surprise the film plays just fine on that one...

Now the problem remains that I cannot get my pc with ASUS BC12D2HT to read the disc. Contacting ASUS support I was told there are no firmware upgrades and that the drive runs on windows own routines (codecs and other format handlers?, I guess?). I asked for a solution but he didn't know. Anyone here who does?

Is there a better chance with another drive or should I update to windows 10? Or look for windows 7 drivers/codecs???
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Windows 10 does nothing to improve access to optical disks.

And installed codecs do not affect MakeMKV.

Actually, your error message isn't about the "verifying integrity" stage. MakeMKV is still trying to read the data from the drive, but the drive is returning unexpected results. Is the location of the error the same for both disks? If so, it is probably a manufacturing error. And 00007.m2ts may not be an important file, which is why playing in a BD player works.

How long is 00007.m2ts, either in time or file size?
BestRip

Post by BestRip »

Hi Woodstock :),

Thank you for your extensive reply.
Good to know Windows 10 won't add anything useful... :wink:

I have thrown away the log files I created earlier and now I can't get into MKV because of the license key thing but I know how they looked. At one time I just let the pgm keep running generating a 150 MB!!! file (yes I'm sure:)) and it wasn't finished either. I know I looked at a file similar to it and found that it wasn't just 00007.m2ts that was corrupted. MKV tried a couple of times with a specific error and then gave up, didn't say it had been able to go around the problem (or however it was worded) but found the next problem at another address in the file... eventually covering several different files on the disc.

What I think is a bit confusing about this is that the LG BD550 plays this disc as if there is no problem whatsoever, and LG BD370 has all its difficulties in identifying the disc as a Blu-ray disc. Sometimes it gets past that initial obstacle and after that I can play it as much as I want until I stop the player and it has to reload, then it doesn't work anymore, after 10-20-30 attempts then maybe it starts - in the LG BD370. In the ASUS pc drive it has never worked for MakeMKV to do its job, but copying it to the hard drive with windows copy command is no problem at all...

ASUS supports best guess was that it could be a type of copy protection that Windows video routines could not handle, and perhaps the LG BD370 is too old for. It sounded quite possible. A note on the LG BD550 is that its disc transport is so noisy that my neighbors are complaining… :lol:

Well... I'd like to get this film into my pc and phone also, so I'm really hoping for MakeMKV to help me out.

BestRip

Edit: I have seen the 16GB 00003.m2ts giving these errors too, its all of them I think.
Arb01s

Post by Arb01s »

Hello,

I know this is an old thread but I have the same problem.I can't rip the Dogora movie from the Blu Ray.
I bought the disk as second hand but it looks brand new. I cleaned it because the answer to ripping problems is mostly to clean the disk. But it doesn't help.
I got error on the file "00007.m2ts", like you.

Did you find a solution ?

Thanks
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

What error do you get?

If you're experiencing rip errors, please read here first!

That post goes over a bunch of common errors and discusses what can be done.