"Fake playlist" protection - help needed

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
makini__

Re: "Fake playlist" protection - help needed

Post by makini__ »

That due to fake playlists (and similar “protection” mechanisms) my RIPs are missing chapters or are out of sync etc.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

OK, the already ripped files may be screwed, in that context, if you selected the wrong titles. You would have to re-rip them to correct that.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Cynyster

Post by Cynyster »

John Wick puts a hundred or so playlists in that are all incorrect.
What I learned to do was use "PowerDVD" and "Microsoft Sysinternals Process Monitor" to identify which playlist is being accessed.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I assume Mike still wants emails when MakeMKV determines the incorrect 'main feature.' I emailed the requested data for Knives Out this morning. I'm pretty sure I found the right playlist from the relevant thread on this forum, but I'll have to watch the movie to confirm.
makini__

Post by makini__ »

So when playing it back for testing (in VLC for example) it is not immediately clear whether there are issues? The fake playlists can hit you in the middle of the movie as well...? Does MakeMKV update some kind of library to select the correct ones? If so, any chance to see whether the movie I want to rip has been reported/updated?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

If a movie has fake playlists, you'll know it when you go to rip it. Knives Out, for example, appears to have 100 or more various versions of the movie. Most movies only have somewhere between 1 to 3 titles that could be the movie. For example, Léon: The Professional, has two titles. One is the theatrical release, and one is a longer cut that the director calls The Long Version. Lots of Pixar movies or the recent Star Wars movies have 3 versions (in North America), one with English titles, one with Spanish titles, and one with French titles.
Mr_Orange

Post by Mr_Orange »

It would be good though if MakeMKV could expand its database to include the correct playlist for a given disc once it has been identified by users.
demon

Post by demon »

Seems like this works better with Java 8 than with Java 11. If I point it to the Java 8 executable on my Linux machine, it succeeds in finding the "FPL_MainFeature" title (just tested with Requiem for a Dream 4K, while with the system default Java 11 executable it does nothing.
ranger671

Post by ranger671 »

I'll go one step further. I tried openjdk versions 8-16 with no luck, but utilizing java 8 from Oracle worked for Deepwater Horizon, but Hunter Killer and Hellboy (2019) caused a fatal error and makemkv to crash. If there are any suggestions for java variants or versions, I'd like to hear them. In case it is of interest, I am running on Linux with a 5.8 kernel. Shouldn't matter, but who knows.
Jon_c77

Post by Jon_c77 »

HI. New to the forum. I am running into an issue with this frequently luckily to date I have been able to search this form and find the correct version to use. However I am running into a particularly frustrating blu ray (Hell or High Water) I have what I'm assuming the retail version ( it has a family video sticker on it I bought it from a resale shop)and i cannot locate the recommended mpls. So no problem i go searching for solutions, and I see about a dozen different one half of which are old. I see something about process monitor, using any DVD (which I tired and it says it cant use my drive which is weird and frustrating) then I tried jre which at this point I assume I have the right pathway (C:/Program Files/Java/jre1.8.0_291/bin/java.exe) I am really just looking for some guidance, on what to do in this scenario when I am stuck and the forum answers aren't working what do you folks do. Java is my guess i just cant even tell if its working.
StormMeows

Post by StormMeows »

Jon_c77 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 6:31 pm
HI. New to the forum. I am running into an issue with this frequently luckily to date I have been able to search this form and find the correct version to use. However I am running into a particularly frustrating blu ray (Hell or High Water) I have what I'm assuming the retail version ( it has a family video sticker on it I bought it from a resale shop)and i cannot locate the recommended mpls. So no problem i go searching for solutions, and I see about a dozen different one half of which are old. I see something about process monitor, using any DVD (which I tired and it says it cant use my drive which is weird and frustrating) then I tried jre which at this point I assume I have the right pathway (C:/Program Files/Java/jre1.8.0_291/bin/java.exe) I am really just looking for some guidance, on what to do in this scenario when I am stuck and the forum answers aren't working what do you folks do. Java is my guess i just cant even tell if its working.
From my experience, JAVA is very hit or miss when it comes to playlist obfuscation. I get it to work sometimes, but a lot of times I have to manually find the correct mpls. I'm not sure why you are getting an error with PowerDVD. I use PowerDVD+ProcMon for ones that I cannot figure out. Did you try restarting your computer? Sometimes I have to restart my computer for PowerDVD to read discs. Playlist obfuscation is so frustrating and I still have my own struggles with the method I described above not working well either.
preserve

Post by preserve »

In case anyone hasn't noticed yet, the "new"(est) version of MakeMKV, 1.16.4, was released back on July 7th and is said to offer "Much better support for discs with Java playlist obfuscation."

I've only tested this on one disc so far, but I found that 1.16.4 correctly identified the playlist for the CA Blu-ray release of Chaos Walking, whereas the previous versions did not.

Can't wait to try more discs, fingers crossed for our fake playlist woes to finally be over!
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
Impac

Post by Impac »

Need help with fake playlist "Unhinged" I have the b;lu-ray of this movies and need help with the correct title selection.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Impac wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:32 am
Need help with fake playlist "Unhinged" I have the b;lu-ray of this movies and need help with the correct title selection.
What is the correct play list [insert title here]? viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16791

Generally, type the movie name into the search field and you'll probably find what you're looking for.

Unhinged Blu-ray: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23635&p=110749
Offler

Post by Offler »

I recently got Ghost In the Shell (1995) bluray, its edition with both UHD and BD (UHD not supported by my optical drive, but anyway)...

Until about two weeks ago the disc could be played correctly, now it scrambles the chapters... (Lionsgate).