"Fake playlist" protection - help needed

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
concolor22

Re: "Fake playlist" protection - help needed

Post by concolor22 »

Do y'all still need these? I have Midsommar and it was weird with track listing. Even with Java properly configured.
Steve52

Post by Steve52 »

I have some disks which have the "fake playlist" problem. I have the Downton Abbey PBS Blu-Rays of Season 5 and Season 6. I have not been able to convert these two seasons to mkv files without scrambled scenes. When I run makemkv on the disks in these sets I get a dozen or so sets of files, and I don't know which to choose. I had hoped that the new version of makemkv would fix this problem, but it did not. Can someone help me with this problem?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Steve52 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:12 am
I have some disks which have the "fake playlist" problem. I have the Downton Abbey PBS Blu-Rays of Season 5 and Season 6. I have not been able to convert these two seasons to mkv files without scrambled scenes. When I run makemkv on the disks in these sets I get a dozen or so sets of files, and I don't know which to choose. I had hoped that the new version of makemkv would fix this problem, but it did not. Can someone help me with this problem?
Search on the forums, you'll probably find a thread of folks figuring it out. For instance, a thread on Downton Abbey Season 5 I found: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9070
Steve52

Post by Steve52 »

Thanks for the link! I ripped my disks using the .mpls numbers listed, but I noticed that the file names on my rips are different from the ones listed in the link. Specifically the source file name:"number".mkv was different from the files name numbers on the list linked to on this forum. Is it normal that the file number created would be different? I haven't played the files yet, so I don't really know if everything worked correctly.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Steve52 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:45 pm
Thanks for the link! I ripped my disks using the .mpls numbers listed, but I noticed that the file names on my rips are different from the ones listed in the link. Specifically the source file name:"number".mkv was different from the files name numbers on the list linked to on this forum. Is it normal that the file number created would be different? I haven't played the files yet, so I don't really know if everything worked correctly.
On a blu-ray, a .mpls file can simplistically be thought of as a playlist of segments. A segment is literally just a segment of a movie (stored in .m2ts files in the BDMV/STREAM folder if you make a decrypted backup of your disc). In MakeMKV, for a given title, the Info box will show up a bunch of information. The 'Source file name' will be the .mpls file. The 'Segment map' is the ordered list of segments as described by the .mpls file. A title on a disc might consist of a single segment or a dozen+ segments. The 'File name' is a thing generated by MakeMKV. Since MakeMKV needs to have a unique default file name for all the titles on the disc, it appends a number at the end of the file name. It just does this stating at zero for each title it encounters in whatever order it encounters them.
jinx100

Post by jinx100 »

Steve52 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:45 pm
Restating what dcoke22 says - it is the ####.mpls that matters. The t###.mkv filename is different for each user depending on how they set the skip movies shorter than xxxx seconds parameter.
Steve52

Post by Steve52 »

Thanks for the reply's! I kind of thought that the number wasn't important, but I just wanted to check before I stopped work on these disks.

These two seasons of Downton Abbey are really the only disks I have had a problem with, and I am glad to finally get them converted to mkv files. If I have any problems in the future, I will check that data base.
Mihle

Post by Mihle »

So, I just got American Gods Scandinavian language version and with Java it shows (T10) (T9) and two that is (T7) but different sizes, but no "Main feature", I am guessing its these ones I should get?
Seeker47

Post by Seeker47 »

This may be a totally different issue from "fake playlists", in which case I can move it to another or even a new topic. It wasn't even a recent BR release, but rather one that came out in 2015. What I got -- using the most recent MakeMKV, also equipped with Java -- was a seriously confused rip, with over 50 iterations of the same main 26 GB feature. Sort of a hall of mirrors. (If allowed to proceed as is, this would have overwhelmed the free space work area available on the data drive.) One or two of these mainfeature entries may have shown as consisting of 4 chapters, though nearly all others said 16 chapters. I don't think I've seen this before, and would like to know what was going on there. What I ended up doing was to -- very tediously -- deselect all but one of those 16 chapter / 26 GB entries. This resulted in the desired rip of main feature + trailers + a few Extras. But still leaving in question whatever it was that tripped up MakeMKV. If there is a job log I can find, I could make that available.
mizu_ger

Post by mizu_ger »

Has anyone identified the correct playlist on the "Laurel and Hardy Year One" (Flicker Alley) disks?

I've been manually checking the individual shorts and the merged playlists but I'm not getting the righ playlist yet. Anyone else have these disks? I didn't know Flicker Alley used obfuscation.
Club_B

Post by Club_B »

I am also working on "Laurel and Hardy Year One" (Flicker Alley). Has anyone made any progress on this one?
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

Sorry to beat this old drum but you may get a better response by creating a new thread with the movie name in the title. People are sometimes reluctant (or just don't have time) to browse through an eight page thread, but if you have something like...

"Laurel and Hardy Year One" (Flicker Alley) Fake Playlists

..in the thread title you're more likely to grab the attention of someone who's already been there. And it'll be easier for any future searchers to find it!
mizu_ger

Post by mizu_ger »

Good point! I've created a separate thread now.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31921
Princess

Post by Princess »

d00zah wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:25 pm
That function only works w/ java available. Based on advice given here in the forum (somewhere?), I tried downloading the 'portable' server version (64-bit only). Just extract it & add the path to the java executable in prefs. Java now only available to MakeMKV (security!). Worth a try?
It does not exist any more? I looked for "portable server version" and only 3rd party versions, like portableapps, exist. But they say they only work with apps made for the portable version.

Anyway. What do you ppl think about having a fake playlist index thread? For example:

Name (Year) - Country - Label (Disc release year) - Correct playlist - Source thread

J'Accuse (1938) - UK - BFI Video (2017) - 00838.mpls
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25823

Rambo: Last Blood (2019) - UK - Lionsgate Films (2020) - 00882.mpls
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21290

In the body of the thread only one post per movie would be allowed, either with an entry like the above for the maintainer to add the the main list or to correct an error. Actual discussion of the movie/disc should be on its separate thread and linked. Ofc, there's the monumental task of combing through the forum and putting together a starter list, lol :P
I've looked for a bit and many entries would need to check against blu-ray.com db to get country/label/year, sometimes only the movie title is on the thread. That makes things a bit more of a pain in the ass.