Chapters don't work in Armageddon

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
boe_d

Chapters don't work in Armageddon

Post by boe_d » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Hello,

I created a single MKV using 1.71 of MakeMKV- it made a perfect copy but the chapters don't work on my Oppo 93. I converted the same BR using handbrake (which is slower and less intuitive) and the chapters work fine on my BR player.

boe_d

Re: Chapters don't work in Armageddon

Post by boe_d » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:36 pm

boe_d wrote:Hello,

I created a single MKV using 1.71 of MakeMKV- it made a perfect copy but the chapters don't work on my Oppo 93. I converted the same BR using handbrake (which is slower and less intuitive) and the chapters work fine on my BR player.
Is there a trick in MakeMKV to make this work without running the mkv file that makemkv creates through a second program to put the chapters back in??

paulster

Post by paulster » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:24 pm

I'd suggest emailing the support email address so Mike can take a look at this and/or tell you what info he needs to properly investigate it.

Chapters 'just work' on pretty much everything that supports chapters in MKVs so it's really odd that you're finding that MakeMKV chapters aren't working on the Oppo whereas Handbrake chapters are.

Are the chapters in the MakeMKV MKVs working on VLC Player, so at least we know that there's not something fundamentally wrong with the MKVs that you've created? Not that I can think how you could have created them without chapters somehow.

boe_d

Post by boe_d » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:37 am

Do they work on your standard DVD or blue ray player when you stream? It doesn't even work in my windows media player for chapters.

paulster

Post by paulster » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:50 am

I've got several hundred DVDs and BluRays ripped so far and, with the exception of one, the chapters work on all of them on my media players and in VLC Player on Windows. There is only one DVD that the chapters aren't being written correctly on and that's a known problem with a handful of poorly-authored discs out there which causes it to write only a single chapter entry. I can correct the chapters with MKVtoolnix, though, and then it works fine.

I never stream the files though. I play them directly off my NAS, which is a better solution for what I want to do.

Are you streaming to the Oppo or have you put them on an external disk for playback? If you're streaming then this adds another dimension which could be your DLNA software doing something funny for some reason. Try a USB stick or a USB/eSATA disk if you haven't and see how this works as this gets it down to its simplest configuration first and then you can work back from there.

Also, do you see chapters listed if you load the file into the MKVtoolnix chapter editor (part of the mkvmerge GUI application)?

boe_d

Post by boe_d » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:17 pm

paulster wrote:I've got several hundred DVDs and BluRays ripped so far and, with the exception of one, the chapters work on all of them on my media players and in VLC Player on Windows. There is only one DVD that the chapters aren't being written correctly on and that's a known problem with a handful of poorly-authored discs out there which causes it to write only a single chapter entry. I can correct the chapters with MKVtoolnix, though, and then it works fine.

I never stream the files though. I play them directly off my NAS, which is a better solution for what I want to do.

Are you streaming to the Oppo or have you put them on an external disk for playback? If you're streaming then this adds another dimension which could be your DLNA software doing something funny for some reason. Try a USB stick or a USB/eSATA disk if you haven't and see how this works as this gets it down to its simplest configuration first and then you can work back from there.

Also, do you see chapters listed if you load the file into the MKVtoolnix chapter editor (part of the mkvmerge GUI application)?
When you say you play directly off a NAS, are you playing directly off a NAS to a BR player or a DVD player - if so which model?

I'm playing back through Windows Media player - not any other player - with handbrake converted mkv's the chapters work - with makemkv - no.
I'm playing back through an Oppo 93 BR player - streamed - with handbrake converted MKVs the chapters work - with MakeMKV - no
I'm playing back through a Sony BR player (my friend's - don't remember the model - streamed - with handrake converted MKV's the chapters work - with MakeMKV - no.

I see chapters in there using tools but I don't want to run a second convert to make the chapters work on my equipment. I like MakeMKV a lot - better than handbrake but I NEED my chapters so that is why I'd like MakeMKV's to make the chapters work without having to run a second conversion.

paulster

Post by paulster » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:59 pm

boe_d wrote:When you say you play directly off a NAS, are you playing directly off a NAS to a BR player or a DVD player - if so which model?
I mount one of my SMB shares from my NAs directly on my media players, which are Popcorn Hour models. So there is no streaming involved; they play the files directly from a file system.
boe_d wrote:I'm playing back through Windows Media player - not any other player - with handbrake converted mkv's the chapters work - with makemkv - no.
I'm playing back through an Oppo 93 BR player - streamed - with handbrake converted MKVs the chapters work - with MakeMKV - no
I'm playing back through a Sony BR player (my friend's - don't remember the model - streamed - with handrake converted MKV's the chapters work - with MakeMKV - no.
With the possible exception of Windows Media Player (which I think you'd have to stream to in order to play MKVs unless you've found a codec for it) all your tests have involved streaming the files, which means a DLNA server of some description. Are you streaming the files to Windows Media Player or are you opening the MKV files directly?

Again, this could be the DLNA server not interpreting the MKV files correctly. You are assuming it's the fault of MakeMKV but this could equally be an issue with the streaming server. One thing which springs to mind that could cause an issue is the placement of the headers and cues. Some streaming servers require these at the beginning so they have all the file information up-front before they begin to send the stream (even through there is no requirement to place these at the front) so this could be your issue.

I remember that mkclean has some options to better organise files for streaming. You might want to try looking at these options as well and try running it against your MKVs before streaming them.

boe_d

Post by boe_d » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:36 pm

I can't say there is a fault anywhere. I can say that when the MKVs are created using handbrake, the chapters work when I stream them. I can say that the MKVs of TV shows I download via torrent and stream also have chapters that work when streamed to the Oppo and the Sony. I would like a feature to be added to Makemkv so that it can make chapters that work for streaming although I understand in your environment, the chapters work on your popcorn device.

As for my Windows Media Player, I'm not streaming. I added a codec that lets me play back direct. Perhaps if I used a different Codec, WMP would stream with chapters that work that MakeMKV creates. If someone knows of one you've tested that works for streaming and direct playback of MKVs in WMP on Windows 7, I'm happy to try it.

paulster

Post by paulster » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:45 pm

Try the different mkclean options and see if you can get it to work with any of these.

Worst case you'll have a single command to execute after processing your file with MakeMKV to create a fully working MKV in your environment. It's still likely to be faster than Handbrake and you'll have the advantage of zero quality loss since there is no re-encoding of the audio and video streams.

Best case, if you find a workaround, Mike or the DLNA server authors might be able to resolve it if they know what the specific problem is. And being able to say (effectively), "it doesn't work because..." is a lot more effective than saying, "it doesn't work."

setarip_old

Post by setarip_old » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:25 am

Hi!

1) If you search the forum, you'll find that there are several posts alluding to your exact problem with playback on Oppo 93s.

2)
I can say that the MKVs of TV shows I download via torrent
Discussion regarding anything other than purchased media is inappropriate at the MakeMKV foum.

Last edited by setarip_old on Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.