Forrest Gump

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
jrees

Forrest Gump

Post by jrees » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:32 am

Has anybody encountered any problems converting Forrest Gump? I have been going through my collection (50+ converted so far), and this is the only one that has casued me any grief.

Thanks in advance.

setarip_old

Re: Forrest Gump

Post by setarip_old » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:14 am

Hi!

It would be a good idea for you to post something that actually describes what problem(s) you've encountered - and also submit a log...

jrees

Post by jrees » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:51 pm

Sorry for the delay. I thought maybe it was a common issue, but here is what happens.

I get a popup warning that reads:

"It appears that you have on-the-fly decryption software enabled. MakeMKV should process discs with most sophisticated protections wihout the help of any 3rd party decryption software. In addition MakeMKV works faster and more reliably when it decrypts data by itself. It is highly recommended to disable such software and restart the application. Do you want to continue anyway (errors may follow)?"

I can choose yes or no.

Choosing "no" resuslts in MakeMKV failing to open the disc.

Choosing "yes" gives me this:

Using direct disc access mode

AACS directory not present, assuming unencrypted disc

I then choose what I wanted to decrypt as I have done with the other discs I done thus far.

It works along until the output file gets to be 3419.2 MB every time at which point it says "copy complete. 0 titles saved, 1 failed". Every single time at that point it fails. The disc is perfectly mint, but something gives at that point.

Using MakeMKV v1.6.14 winx64. Sorry. I can't find any error logs. I am not running any decryption software other than the MakeMKV program. I have since tried AnyDVD after a reboot, and still the same problem.

ANybody have any thoughts on this issue? It's really bugging me :(

Thanks all.

setarip_old

Post by setarip_old » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:13 pm

Hi!
AACS directory not present, assuming unencrypted disc
This clearly indicates that the source material you used is not an original, commercial, Blu-ray disc.

Try using MakeMKV to DIRECTLY rip your original, commercial "Forrest Gump" Blu-ray disc...

jrees

Post by jrees » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:33 pm

Thanks for your reply. The disc is in fact original and was bought from Costco. Unless Costco got duped, and in turn duped me, I am at a loss to explain how this wouldn't be original.

jrees

Post by jrees » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:05 pm

Holy cow. This may very well be a fake copy. Your post prompted me to start digging around online, and leads me to believe this disc is not legit. The artowrk on the disc is a plain baby-blue colour with plain white lettering. Searching google images shows a picture disc that looks very much like the cover.

Upon closer inspection, the cover artwork in the fineprint is somewhat grainy. This has got to be a fake......I wonder how the hell this happened? My only thought it that somebody must returned a fake in exchange of a real one? Unreal.

I guess that solves this problem.

:evil:

reebok

Post by reebok » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:32 pm

costco has the most liberal return policy I've ever heard of if they take back discs that have already been opened.

setarip_old

Post by setarip_old » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:08 pm

@jrees

You've piqued my curiosity:

What is the color of the underside of the disc?

jrees

Post by jrees » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:44 pm

I bought the disc when it came out along with Gladiator and Braveheart from Costco. I have long since trashed the receipt and not sure I want to bother taking it back......would feel kinda stupid trying to return a 'fake'.....even with Costco's excellent customer service and return policies.

The whole thing just seems crazy to me.

Looking at the back of the disc, it's unlike any other bluray I have. It's darkish blue, so I assume this is a writable disc. The whole other thing is I guess it's supposed to be a 2-disc set (according to the list of special features on the case). It's only a 1-disc. If I had of cared about the special features when I watched it when I bought it, I would have noticed right away it was a fake. It just never occured to me that something like this could have happend.

Thanks guys.

jrees

Post by jrees » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:41 pm

reebok wrote:costco has the most liberal return policy I've ever heard of if they take back discs that have already been opened.
The disc was sealed in plasticwrap like the other discs.....I wouldn't have grabbed a disc from the rack had it looked like it was a return.

reebok

Post by reebok » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:22 pm

not saying you would have. I've never heard of any store that would take back a disc that was opened (since someone apparently did), but what I was actually thinking is that the person had their own plastic sealer.

setarip_old

Post by setarip_old » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:21 pm

I have long since trashed the receipt and not sure I want to bother taking it back......would feel kinda stupid trying to return a 'fake'.....

Then I'd suggest you take it back to Costco and speak (ONLY) to the store manager - and tell him/her that although because of its appearance you're NOT asking to exchange it, you want him/her to be aware that Costco and/or its customers are being "ripped off".