Burning MKV DVDs

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
WV_Whale

Burning MKV DVDs

Post by WV_Whale » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:11 am

Good Morning,
I have had success extracting DVDs to my external hard drive. Now I can't seem to get the MKV files to burn back to a DVD for my library.
What is the 'secret?'
Larry
PS: I have purchased and registered MAKEMKV.

BlackDragon24

Re: Burning MKV DVDs

Post by BlackDragon24 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:52 pm

Makemkv won't burn back the mkv's to DVD AFAIK. I've tried a lot of programs out there and the best one to get mkv to dvd conversion to go well is convertxtodvd, but it costs a few quid.

setarip_old

Post by setarip_old » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:48 pm

This should be transferred to the "DVD Error Reports" sub-forum...

mike admin

Post by mike admin » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:49 am

There is for sure an open-source DVD authoring application that takes MKVs as input. if you have a blu-ray player, you can convert MKV file to AVCHD (lots of free software, search for multiavchd). You can even make an AVCHD disc from MKV that came from DVD. Any blu-ray player will play such disc.

WV_Whale

Post by WV_Whale » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:45 pm

Hi again,
And thanks to those of you who posted replies. Unfortunately, they weren't what I wanted to hear (bummer).
What I find somewhat strange is that I have successfully burned some DVDs from copied MakeMKV files in the past. I know I'm not hallucinating -- what this capability available previously and removed for some reason or another?
Without the capability to 'transfer' movies to DVD, there doesn't seem to be much of a reason to have purchased the software...???
As for using a BLURAY machine to perform the transition --- I'm out of luck there because I don't have that machine.
Any other suggestions?

setarip_old

Post by setarip_old » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:29 pm

I have had success extracting DVDs to my external hard drive. Now I can't seem to get the MKV files to burn back to a DVD for my library.

Please clarify - What are you trying to accomplish by first converting your commercial DVDs to .MKVs - and then wanting to re-convert the .MKVs back to DVD?

Why don't you simply use a DVD "ripping" program to directly make backups of the commercial DVDs?

And, NO, MakeMKV has NEVER had the capability to directly convert an .MKV to DVD...