How to copy Blu Ray extras

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
esquire805

How to copy Blu Ray extras

Post by esquire805 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:59 am

I see all the chapters for each episode but how do I get the special content from the blu ray? interviews, text opening etc

Woodstock

Re: How to copy Blu Ray extras

Post by Woodstock » Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:49 pm

If they are less than your minimum time (normally 30 seconds), they won't be highlighted for selection. You can set that minimum to zero if you need to.

But they won't be LISTED as what you're looking for, normally.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging

lfoust

Post by lfoust » Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:19 am

Mapping out where the extras are on each disc is the reason I created https://thediscdb.com/. It is my attempt to share my findings with others (and also take submissions from others who want to contribute)

PaulCB

Post by PaulCB » Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:41 am

The chapters is on the movie title, the extras are one of the many other items listed. Sometimes the disc has them partially labeled, but most of the time you will need to identify them. The way I've always done that is to open the movie in a player and go to the extras, play them to see the length and then find the item with that time length in the MakeMKV list. You then just select it and rename it. You do that for each extra until you've found them all. You will rarely ever have two titles with the exact same run-time.

The site ifoust created is a great resource if the disc is there. If not, you could add it once you've mapped the extras.

dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:54 pm

I often look for a review at blu-ray.com, which often has a good overview of the extras on a disc.

Guin3a P1gg

Post by Guin3a P1gg » Thu May 16, 2024 10:43 pm

esquire805 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:59 am
I see all the chapters for each episode but how do I get the special content from the blu ray? interviews, text opening etc
There are just a bunch of files on the blu ray. Some will be menu backgrounds and stuff, but all of that is the smaller files. There is (currently) no way to KNOW what is on the drive wihtout manually looking at each file.

Cantor

Post by Cantor » Fri May 17, 2024 6:30 pm

I usually rip all files (with some min time condition) and then sort them in time order. Then for each extras on the disc I can compare lengths. Normally this way I can figure out exactly what files to keep and which to toss.

RoseLunar

Post by RoseLunar » Fri May 24, 2024 10:32 am

lfoust wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:19 am
Mapping out where the extras are on each disc is the reason I created https://thediscdb.com/. It is my attempt to share my findings with others (and also take submissions from others who want to contribute)
THANK YOU!

Having just a list of files for Dune (2021) was driving me INSANE. Dune Part 2 ripped just fine with nice titles already on all the bonus stuff already attached. But the first one was just "list of large files with no indicator what's what"

Your site has the 2021 movie and the list breakdown, so huge kudos and a big thank you to you!

magsol76

Post by magsol76 » Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:43 am

I often just use dvdcompare.net. All extras are listed with the exact lengt there. So if a trailer is 1:24 long i just find the ripped file that is 1:24 long and rename it. Picture gallerys are a real hassle though: a file that is a couple of minutes long will sometime display each image for severals seconds; a picture rip with ffmpeg will then extract several thousand images (and there may be hundreds of each image...).
I use Alldup to remove the duplicate images and rename with Bulk Rename Utility. All freeware :D

drxenos

Post by drxenos » Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:48 pm

I just play the Blu-ray in PowerDVD and use Process Monitor to see what the mpls numbers are. I use filters to ignore everything that isn't for PowerDVD. People often say this doesn't work anymore, but I've never had a problem with it.

I then look for the mpls numbers in MakeMKV. If it's not found, I:
1. Look at MakeMKV's output from parsing the disc to see if the mpls was drop because it's equivalent to another, and use that.
2. Use BDInfo to see what m2ts file(s) the mpls maps to, and look for that (it seems like, if the mpls contains only one m2ts, MakeMKV will list the latter instead).

This process (after getting the mpls from Process Monitor) is actually automated by the scripting language I wrote to make processing discs easier.