Audio issues

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Drmpatch

Audio issues

Post by Drmpatch » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:29 pm

Good afternoon!

I've ripped close to 200ish blu rays & dvds. I'm having issues with Harry Potter & Deathly Hallows part 1 and 2. I can't seem to get audio off of either of them. Can someone please let me know what I may be doing wrong or if there is some sort of solution for this? Its the last 2 blurays to finish the collection.

Thanks!

Woodstock

Re: Audio issues

Post by Woodstock » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:24 pm

Having ripped these disks, with audio, some questions:

How do you know there is no audio? Some players cannot handle more modern audio codecs like DTS-HD MA without help, so they "have no audio", even though it is in the file. Using a player like VLC can allow you to confirm this.

Sometimes people select a "preferred language" in MakeMKV, and that causes it to stop automatically ripping any track NOT tagged as that language. This topic will tell you how to check what tracks are selected, and what MakeMKV will do with them.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging

Drmpatch

Post by Drmpatch » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:38 pm

All fixed, I found out the default "Movies & TV" windows app wouldn't pull the audio files properly from the file. VLC had no problem and when I used handbrake to reformat it and compress it worked perfectly. No issues!

Venger1991

Post by Venger1991 » Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:32 pm

I'm still trying to figure out what the best most widely-supported audio codec is. I have purchased several 4K movies that also come with a blu-Ray and digital key. I love having a library with the original cases and artwork. Just recently, I bought The Princess Bride ; it came in a nostalgic purple and yellow book exterior with artwork some history about the movie. With that said, Best Buy and many other retailers do not carry 4k and Blu-Ray disks anymore. The demand for disk content is down due to streaming, and I think that that is a shame! Please buy 4K media and if you want to experiment with ripping it that is your call.

I bought an Xbox One S with a 4k player for $70.00 at a pawn shop. It plays my 4K movies perfectly and supports HDR and Sony Atmos. This is perhaps the least expensive way to watch 4K content.

If your rips have audio issues, make sure to check only one audio codec after you select "AAC-stereo" under the "Profile" drop-down on the right-hand side. I select either "DTS-HD MA" or "DTS Surround 5.1 English." All other audio settings along with subtitles are unchecked! For example if you want "DTS-HD MA," that check box will now read "DTS-HD MA - AAC Stereo English (Lossy Conversion)" after you select "AAC-stereo" under the "Profile" drop-down. Experiment if you want. FLAC may not work with the Roku media player or the Amazon HD FireTV player. VLC may support it. AAC-Stereo works though. It is lossy, but I hate to compress audio!

Woodstock

Post by Woodstock » Sun Jun 30, 2024 6:39 pm

I'm still trying to figure out what the best most widely-supported audio codec is.
The answer is, "It depends!"

If you want 4K video, the answer is different from BD video, and DVD video. Some BDs come with straight, uncompressed audio (LPCM). Many BD and UHD come with mixed tracks that have both compressed and uncompressed audio in them, with up to 8 channels in them. Most will play as 2-channel, compressed audio.

MakeMKV can separate out different audio from those compressed-together tracks, just like the players do, for when your software doesn't do that (these are done by selecting the "profile").

That said, I don't bother with much separation in MakeMKV - I use handbrake to convert the tracks after-the-fact. It lets me determine which audio tracks are in what order for my players. As long as handbrake can read the audio tracks, I can put them in whatever order they need to be.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging