Planes

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
netwrxman

Planes

#1 Post by netwrxman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:57 am

Hey guys,

New to the forum and I'm just getting started working with MakeMKV based on some recommendations from various sites for Blu-Ray playback on a new XBMC HTPC that I'm getting ready to build later this week. In the meantime, I thought I'd play with it a bit this week to familiarize myself with it.

After installing, I tried to rip the movie Planes since I thought it would be a good test and I won't have to worry about the kids scratching the disc up in the future. Unfortunately, it wouldn't rip out of the box with the following error message:

"Saving 1 titles into directory D:/Movies/MP4s
Failed to load external DLL 'dtsdecoderdll.dll' as its path is not set in preferences, please see /dtshd for details
Failed to save title 4 to file D:/Movies/MP4s/Planes_t04.mkv"

I tried restarting MakeMKV a couple times, made sure I was selecting the main movie file, etc...still no go. It will successfully rip several other files from the special features on the disc, but not the Primary file. Did some digging here and I read in several threads that the DLL isn't required to rip, but it definitely seemed to be for this movie.

After grabbing the DLL file, enabling Expert mode and adding the file in the Preferences > Advanced tab it is now copying the file although it seems to be speeding up and slowing down as it's writing. At this point, it looks like it's going to be anywhere from 90 min to well over 2 hrs to write.

Are these symptoms normal? Anyone else tried ripping this movie yet? I didn't find a match when I searched for it.

OK, tried to add a screen cap but it says board quota has been reached so I guess I'm SOL :)

kevmitch

Re: Planes

#2 Post by kevmitch » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:43 am

That messages is showing up because your are using the "FLAC" profile which requires the dll to decode the lossless DTSHD audio tracks into the Free Lossless Audio Compression codec. You should be able to select the "Default" profile which just copies all the tracks as is without needing the dll. The special features probably only have compressed (non-DTSHD) audio, so makemkv just copies those tracks the same as the default profile without the need for the dll. The DTSHD decoding/FLAC encoding is supposed to happen in real time as the disc is ripping, but if your processor is slow, it is conceivable that it slows down the rip.

With the default profile, there is no encoding/decoding, so the time it takes to rip an entire disc depends primarily on the speed of your optical drive. With a 12x BDROM, I find that ripping an entire movie can take somewhere between 15-30min. If your drive is slow, or heaven forbid riplocked, it can take longer.

netwrxman

#3 Post by netwrxman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:16 pm

Well, I wouldn't think it would be lack of processing. Here's my build info:

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 MB
AMD FX-8350 cpu
8GB 1600 DDR3 ram
LG 12X UH12NS30 BD-ROM
Seagate Barracuda ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM HD - (this could be a bottleneck considering it's only SATA3)

Last night I did kill that job and start a new one. I remember changing the profile to default and it may very well have been FLAC, but I don't remember now. I also removed some of the foreign audio files to reduce size. Took about 45 min or so. Movie looked and sounded great on my PC though!

Out of curiosity, is there a newbie user guide I should be reading somewhere? :)

netwrxman

#4 Post by netwrxman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:36 am

Can someone also please explain what this error means?

Error 'OS error - Access is denied' occurred while creating 'C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV/MKB_v35_xxx.tgz'
Using direct disc access mode

Romansh

#5 Post by Romansh » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:02 am

netwrxman wrote:Can someone also please explain what this error means?

Error 'OS error - Access is denied' occurred while creating 'C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV/MKB_v35_xxx.tgz'
Perhaps you set your MakeMKV data directory to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV' - which, if I am not mistaken, requires administrator privileges to write to.

Been a while since I used the Windows version, but surely the default data directory must be a user folder, not something in Program Files?

Woodstock

#6 Post by Woodstock » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:51 am

Yes, that definitely is an issue - the data directory should be set somewhere else.

As I recall, though, the default is to create it within the user's personal area, the same place the debug logs are saved.

Personally, I use c:\MakeMKVSVQ , so that it is rather obvious why that directory is there and what will be in it.