Bug: Avatar EC forced subs stay on-screen!

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
samtoy

Bug: Avatar EC forced subs stay on-screen!

#1 Post by samtoy » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:58 am

Avatar Extended Cut R2/B Blu-ray

MakeMKV has no problem with extracting the forced subs into an extra stream, as always. But when playing back the MKV the forced subtitles don't turn off, they always stay on-screen until another forced subtitle comes up! This leads to some subtitles displayed on-screen for up to 20 minutes! I've tested with 2 different hardware and 2 different software players. It looks like as if MakeMKV has problems extracting these forced subs and forgets to set the turn-off flag (or something like that) for them.

This BD is the only case where MakeMKV has these kind of problems. Is this a known problem and will this be fixed?

Note: The extended cut BD of Avatar has the forced subs included within the normal subtitles and not in an extra stream like the older theatrical cut Avatar BD had.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:

Just found out that this is indeed a known problem and MakeMKV's programmers are aware of it:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4969

From Handbrake's forums:

"The one difference between the discs I tested (Star Wars, M:I Ghost Protocol, Alien) and Avatar is that in the former three, every single forced subtitle frame is immediately followed by an empty subtitle frame. As can be seen in the Blu-ray log above, some of Avatar's forced subtitles are not directly followed by empty frames, but by another forced frame instead (which also marks the end of the previous frame's display, AFAICT).

My theory is that for some reason, when MakeMKV finds one subtitle for which the end time is signaled by a non-empty subtitle, it assumes it'll be the case for all subtitles and doesn't include any of the empty ones."

Well, let's hope it gets fixed in one of the next versions.