VLC crashes when trying to play ripped Blu-ray

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
hamburglar

VLC crashes when trying to play ripped Blu-ray

Post by hamburglar »

I am trying to rip Part 2 of The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Extended Edition and it appears to rip okay and MakeMKV doesn't give me any error messages. When I double-click the .mkv file to open it in VLC, the program crashes immediately. It allows me to send an error report to VLC, but I don't know how I can access the error report. I am able to rip and play other Blu-ray discs just fine, just not this one. I had previously been able to rip it in the past, so I don't know what's wrong.
Woodstock

Re: VLC crashes when trying to play ripped Blu-ray

Post by Woodstock »

Which version of VLC?

I'm about to abandon 2.2.0, because it has issues playing some MKV files that work just fine in 2.1.5. Had to do the same thing when 2.0.x came out, because things that played in the 1.x series blew up 2.0. It was 2.0.3 before it became stable again.
hamburglar

Post by hamburglar »

I'm using 2.2.0 right now. Should I downgrade and see if it works? Since the movie is split into two discs, I tried using mkvmerge to make Part 1 and Part 2 into one .mkv file and mkvmerge gave me an error, so it seems to be more than just VLC.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

You can have multiple versions of VLC installed, so long as they're in different directories, so I'd start with that. You can also have multiple copies of MakeMKV installed, with the same restriction, so checking an older version to see if it's a change in MakeMKV is also possible.
hamburglar

Post by hamburglar »

I found out I have the same problem with the second disc of The Return of the King. Where can I download previous versions of MakeMKV?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

/download/old/
hamburglar

Post by hamburglar »

I'm not a paid subscriber, so it wouldn't let me use the older versions. I borrowed my friend's registration key just to test it and it didn't work on 1.9.0 or 1.8.9 so I don't know where to go from here.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

With older versions, you need to enter the updated beta key that is posted in the announcements section, under "MakeMKV is free during Beta".
hamburglar

Post by hamburglar »

Woodstock wrote:With older versions, you need to enter the updated beta key that is posted in the announcements section, under "MakeMKV is free during Beta".
Okay, thank you for this. However, I'm still having the problem.

A somewhat new development, I was able to convert a chapter of the unplayable file to an .mp4 file with Handbrake and it was playable. I tested this with both the first chapter and second chapter.