Doctor Who - Unable to rip single episode.

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
fatez

Doctor Who - Unable to rip single episode.

Post by fatez »

Hi everyone,

I have a huge problem.
I wanted to devote the day to ripping my Doctor Who blurays but I can't do it. Makemkv sees the structure as a single movie instead of three separate episodes.

As you can see here is as soon as I inserted the bluray of the first season (but it does it with all, I've already tried)

As you can see Makemkv only sees a single 29.4GB movie

Single files would also be there but MakeMkv "unifies" them.

how can i solve it?
Is there a setting or anything in particular I can do?

thanks
emrysblack

Re: Doctor Who - Unable to rip single episode.

Post by emrysblack »

This is how many TV discs store their episodes and playlist them in "episode groups". Just use MakeMKV to rip the file containing all the episodes, and then use a free tool like MLVToolnix to split them apart after the correct chapters so they'll be individual episodes. There is a guide here on the Plex forums for dealing with this exact, very common issue. https://forums.plex.tv/t/howto-splittin ... gui/108396
fatez

Post by fatez »

Thank you, but then the fastest thing is to take single m2ts and process them with MKVToolnix. (so at least I have no risk of making unwanted cuts or having audio/video clipping)

Too bad, I thought MakeMKV would work.
emrysblack

Post by emrysblack »

That will work if MKVToolnix can handle the files. MakeMKV needs to be used first in the case of encrypted/protected media. I've never had a problem with clipping myself as my media has always put chapter markers between episodes that will cut perfectly.