Easiest way to save US English Blu-ray movie with these particulars?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
aledo

Easiest way to save US English Blu-ray movie with these particulars?

Post by aledo »

I'm backing up my first Blu-ray purchase to a movie file, so that when I click the file, the movie just starts playing, like I do with DVD .iso files using DVD Shrink, to minimize file size but maximize quality; however, I'm not seeing an easy way to just have these selections without a LOT of clicking (or debating what exactly to click):

1. US English audio (just for the movie, not director's commentary or anything like that), though I need stereo at minimum, and I'm OK with other typical US multi-channel.
2. US English sub-title (not sure which is best, but I suppose best compatibility for Windows and widescreen).
3. Not compressed; I want the best quality video and audio the disc can give me.

It's relatively easy for me to do this in DVD Shrink with DVDs; typically I don't have to click a lot. In MakeMKV Blu-ray though, it auto-selects EVERYTHING, and trying to de-select what I don't want... there's dozens/hundreds (?) of things, most of which I know I don't want.

Is there some easier way to do this?! Right now I'm just ripping the most recognizable "movie-only" Title (?), with all audio/subtitle options, but I think this is going to take up a LOT of space for content I'll likely never use. I've been A-OK with DVD US English content.
Woodstock

Re: Easiest way to save US English Blu-ray movie with these particulars?

Post by Woodstock »

The "Backup" button isn't going to remove tracks from video. It's going to make a backup copy of the disk, optionally with the encryption removed.

Using the Open button will allow you to select what tracks (audio/subtitle) are saved in each title. There are default selections that can be configured, but getting detailed with the selection strings can be a pain. My default is "rip everything!" and sort it out later. This is much faster than doing multiple rips as you figure out that the 5.1 Dolby track is actually the descriptive audio track, and the movie itself uses 2.0 AAC. You can remove unwanted tracks after that with tools like mkvtoolnix and handbrake.

"Hundreds and hundreds of things" probably means you're dealing with disks produced by Lionsgate. That's intentional by them, intended to discourage people who aren't "in to" ripping. We have topics for those disks, describing how to figure out what titles are correct.

The majority of publishers will give you just a single choice for the movie, sometimes as many as 3 (based on language).
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
albert90

Post by albert90 »

Interesting, the lengths they seem to be going to discourage ripping. I wonder how effective it's been.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

aledo wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:32 am
It's relatively easy for me to do this in DVD Shrink with DVDs; typically I don't have to click a lot. In MakeMKV Blu-ray though, it auto-selects EVERYTHING, and trying to de-select what I don't want... there's dozens/hundreds (?) of things, most of which I know I don't want.
MakeMKV can not recognize a director's commentary or SDH track, neither can DVD Shrink. And since the descriptive track sometimes has similar or better specs to the regular track, you have to check manually what tracks to enable for the ripping process (playing back with VLC helps identifying the tracks you want). To pre-select English audio and subs, check View > Preferences > General > Expert Mode to get the Advanced tab where you can enter this default selection rule:

-sel:all,+sel:(eng|nolang),-sel:(core),-10:(eng),-20:(forced*(eng))

which will rip the best audio quality present on the disk with no compression applied to video/audio.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch