Dances with Wolves - No Subtitles

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
servocrow

Dances with Wolves - subtitle problem

Post by servocrow »

I would have thought that this BR would have had these subtitles HARDCODED for the SIOUX speaking parts of the film, but it is not. I have tried several times to rip this via MAKEMKV and to incorporate any and all english subtitles. It will not work...help please.
Psion69

Dances with Wolves - No Subtitles

Post by Psion69 »

Hi Everyone,

I've been having a hell of a time getting Dances with Wolves to show subtitles. I've ripped with AnyDVD HD played the stream for the main movie and no subs appeared no matter what player I use. Tried Ripbot and that didn't work. ClownBD produced similar results. Today, I tried Makemkv and had "both" English subs (forced only) checked, though I don't know why there are two to begin with. I unticked the Spanish and French and did the conversion. Again, no subs appear for all the scenes the Sioux speak.

What's going on? Has anyone encountered this problem, even on other discs?

Thanks.
Psion69

Re: Dances with Wolves - subtitle problem

Post by Psion69 »

Hey, I didn't see your post. I, too, have had the same problem as you. Ripbot, ClownBD, AnyDVD, DVDFab 8, you name it and nothing works. Have you found a solution yet?
Marc_G

Re: Dances with Wolves - subtitle problem

Post by Marc_G »

Does your player routinely show PGS subtitles from BD streams? If not did you convert them per instructions elsewhere?

I've found an alternative solution for where that doesn't work: using AnyDVDHD as the decrypter, using AnotherEAC3ToGui to do the rip will usually autoconvert PGS subs to the dvd style subs that MPC-HC can play.

Sorry to post a solution using alternative products, but since most players of MKVs don't handle PGS subs well, the lack of a subtitle conversion option built into MakeMKV is a serious drawback for me. I would have bought a license already if not for this issue.

Otherwise I'm a faithful MakeMKV devotee.

8)
Psion69

Re: Dances with Wolves - No Subtitles

Post by Psion69 »

Thanks. I'll try out your suggestion. This is really annoying me. :D
VideoWolf

Post by VideoWolf »

I have this same problem with District 9. cant get the "Alien Speak" forced subtitles to appear no matter what I try. seems if I want forced only subtitles, I have to rip it from the DVD copy. & that sorta kills the reason for having it on BR.

Would be nice if MakeMKV could rip all subtitles on a movie into a separate SRT file, including Forced Only Subs.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

MakeMKV pulls the forced subtitles to their own stream inside the MKV file. You just need to use playback software that can handle PGS subtitles.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@crowfax

Hi!
You just need to use playback software that can handle PGS subtitles.

Such as? (Please list)

crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Do I look like your servant? If you'd like to request someone do something for you, manners wouldn't go amiss.

Still, lets ignore the rudeness and I'll help you anyway.

For Windows I use this:
Media Player Classic - Home Cinema

On Linux I use this:
SMPlayer

They both support PGS subtitles.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@crowfax

1) I guess saying "Please list" somehow isn't polite enough?

2) I don't need your help on this topic, but the reason I asked you to "please list" some of the players that will do what you say, is that only stating as you did that:
You just need to use playback software that can handle PGS subtitles.
doesn't really help the OP...

Glad to see that your last post does list a couple of such players ;>}

crowfax

Post by crowfax »

setarip_old wrote:I guess saying "Please list" somehow isn't polite enough?
100% correct. However I'm uninterested in teaching you manners; so don't ask for pointers, that's a good chap.
setarip_old wrote:I don't need your help on this topic
Oh, so you could have helped the OP but didn't. Charming behavior.

This has gone off topic, if the OP needs more help, they can ask themselves.