"Come Away" from RB not recognized

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
mmmzon

"Come Away" from RB not recognized

Post by mmmzon »

Just rented one, and it spins up but it is not read at all. The disc feels very similar to AVA from RB, with rounded corners.

Code: Select all

Drive Information
OS device name: R:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH16NS60
Revision: 1.02
Serial number: XXXXX
Firmware date: 2118-10-29 19:36
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 72

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.02
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
heyriddle

Re: "Come Away" from RB not recognized

Post by heyriddle »

I was able to get the RB version to mount and work in MakeMKV. I did notice that it didn't feel as thick as the previous discs I could not get to work. (Becky and AVA)
squal85

Post by squal85 »

I can confirm the same issue. The blu-ray works in my cheap, LG Blu-ray player, but when I place it into my PC, it fails to mount. What kind of newfangled protection is this, and how do we get around it?

Original attempt with ASUS bw-16d1ht firmware version 3.00 (stock), re-attempted with flashed firmware 3.10MK
In case this was a fluke, I went to a different RB and rented a different disk. Both disks appeared new (not a fingerprint on them), and I got the same result. The disk keeps trying to spin up, the laser keeps trying to adjust, and it just keeps blinking until it gives up and fails to mount.
squal85

Post by squal85 »

Update: It appears that this is the same error everyone else is experiencing, where many new redbox discs fail to read in computer bluray drives: You have to wonder if redbox has intentionally found a way to prevent their discs from working in bluray drives on computers.
Joslyn5

Post by Joslyn5 »

I was able to successfully read with my really old WH08LS20 as that has been my go to drive with Redbox releases it able to see them in MKV first try every time with no issues but my BW-16D1HT and WH16NS60 have always had a issue seeing the discs but today I was also was able to successfully read “come away” with my with MK FW 3.10 first try which is weird
ProjectBlu

Post by ProjectBlu »

I tried one of these discs on two different LG units and neither would see the disc. I put in in my old Pioneer BDR-209D and it recognized the disc instantly. That same pioneer will read damaged discs that no other drive I have can play to the end. Newer is not always better. I don't know what Pioneer does better on their player hardware for error handling, but I'm tempted to buy a couple spares while they're still available!