Downfall and North Face -no sound for both?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Populuxe

Downfall and North Face -no sound for both?

Post by Populuxe »

...Not sure why because it worked fine, same day, on the new Godzilla and Rear Window. Also with Run Lola Run and Das Boot both back-up files have only the English soundtracks...with optional English subtitles when I'd rather have the German audio...or better yet both/all audio tracks (and all optional subs) since that's the great thing about MKV files. I do have the dtsdecod.dll version 1.1.0.9. and the latest MakeMKV. Lately I've been choosing to use the WDTV profile choice...out of the 4 options...and it generally works OK. I noticed in the preferences settings on one page you make a language selection in 2 spots....maybe change them to German for Downfall and North Face?
...As said though it would be best to have all the optional subs and audio that any Blu-ray has. Curiously Run Lola Run does have English songs playing in several spots so in its' case the dubbed English audio is maybe OK...but still. I'm using my 64-bit Win 7 drive for this....my other drive is a SSD with openSUSE 12.3 but I've not learned how to compile anything and MakeMKV unfortunately is one thing the people who contribute to Packman haven't packaged for people like me... :(
...Hey as far as the last bit...isn't it ironic that doing this is a justification for me not formatting the Win 7 drive?...my Sony software which I bought is another. And I actually bought the Blu-ray's of Downfall, North Face, Run Lola Run, Das Boot, etc. I've rented a few others...mostly old stuff.
But the way (and only way) I watch them is by ripping them to an External HD and watching them later with VLC...this is perfect because I can watch them using either OS/drive.
Woodstock

Re: Downfall and North Face -no sound for both?

Post by Woodstock »

What audio tracks did you extract? Are those tracks something your system can decode/play?
Populuxe

Post by Populuxe »

...OK, so I enabled Log debug messages and right now I have MakeMKV doing North Face again...this time using the Default profile option. This is a new BR disc only played one previous time...when I MakeMKV'd it. It says on the package German 5:1 DTS-HD Master Audio and English subtitles.

...So if I end up with no sound again I'll email the log files...I don't have a way to compress files anymore...I used to have 7-zip but I removed it a while back because I didn't really have use for it. If file compression is neccessary would it be OK if I used 7-zip?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The key will be to examine the "no sound" files - you will probably find that there ARE audio tracks in them. But some players cannot play some audio tracks, so you get "no sound". A different player may be able to decode the audio. Or the primary audio track might be something your player can't play, but a different track is fine... if you can select it.

A player like VLC (download from videolan.org) can show you want tracks are available within a file, and also has the ability to play most.
Populuxe

Post by Populuxe »

...I only use VLC to watch BR back-ups. For those with no sound it shows nothing in the drop-down audio tracks...in fact the 'audio' is even a paler shade which signifies that. Last night I tried MakeMKV'ing North Face again using the AAC-st profile and that gave me 2 channel stereo sound (German language) and working optional English subtitles so at least I have that although I wish it were 5.1 audio. Maybe I'll try the FLAC profile?...luckily I still have space in that 4TB HD for all these tries.
...Next I did the same with Donwfall....AAC-st profile....no sound or subs showing in VLC, and playing it confirms it has no sound but apparently the English subs are Hard-coded? So then I MakeMKV'd it again with the FLAC profile...same result...no sound.
...Yesterday Repulsion, Vampyres, Daughters of Darkness and La Femme Nikita arrived in the mail (Amazon purchases) and I MakeMKV'd them all with no problem....5.1 audio on the ones that have it and same for subtitles.
The Masked Onion

Post by The Masked Onion »

Can you make sure that the audio is actually selected under the title, select both DTS-MA and DTS under the DTS-MA sub menu. A screenshot of MakeMKV showing the title you want to copy with all the audio and subititles expanded would be helpful.

This could be just a simple case of MakeMKV not automatically selecting the audio due it it not matching your audio language preferences.
Populuxe

Post by Populuxe »

...Hey sorry
...all the time I've been using MakeMKV I didn't know there was an expanded view of each file with options like that? Sorry...I feel dumb now. But I've never seen that mentioned anywhere and when you said 'make sure that the audio is actually selected under the title, select both DTS-MA and DTS under the DTS-MA sub menu. A screenshot of MakeMKV showing the title you want to copy with all the audio and subtitles expanded would be helpful.' that made me wonder what you were talking about.
Thanks so much.
...5.1 German was unchecked and I haven't ripped it again yet but I will and I'll redo the others I mentioned issues with too and report back in a few days.
...When I ripped Daughters of Darkness the MKV file had a working choice of 3 audio tracks and optional subs...so I'm guessing I'll be able to have all the audio and subtitle choices for any movie as long as I expand under the title and select them all? I'm also thinking the WDTV profile is fine maybe all the time now?...for me anyways.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If you have not already done so, you should go to the Preferences menu, General tab, and enable "Expert mode". Once that is turned on, you can use different profiles for different types of disks.

One of the profiles provided is called "FLAC", which will automatically select the loss-less audio tracks, but recode them into something more players can play.

I have a modified profile that selects ALL audio tracks for a title, because I have encountered several cases where the main audio is stereo, but there are commentary tracks in higher-fidelity encodings, including DTS, and MakeMKV selected them instead of the main audio. I can then review which tracks are the correct ones to use, when I use Handbrake to recode the file.