linux version fails read

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
rhodes

linux version fails read

Post by rhodes »

When I start the app, I get:

MakeMKV v1.8.8 linux(x64-release) started
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB' occurred while issuing SCSI command 46020..00140 to device 'SG:dev_11:2'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB' occurred while issuing SCSI command 46020..00140 to device 'SG:dev_11:2'

The above text is all. All menu items are greyed out except quit and help. One of the drives is an Asus DVD, one is an ASUS BD. Both drives about 2 months old. Is there something I can try or do I need to wait for further development?

Thx.
GuruMeditation

Re: linux version fails read

Post by GuruMeditation »

I am encountering problems as well just recently with an ASUS BD drive. I am seeing strange issues in my logs relating to the BD drive and while I haven't ruled out the drive itself starting to fail, I have noticed that the problems I have came right after I was forced to upgrade the bios of my motherboard to fix a soft CPU lock issue with my OS.

Question, do you have an ASUS motherboard and has it been updated with a newer BIOS recently?
rhodes

Post by rhodes »

The motherboard is Asus and is about 3 months old. No updates to bios.

Interestingly, after rebooting the machine, makemkv started operating normally. I processed two factory BD disks last night and watched one of them (Master and Commander) and the results were great. It's a darn shame they don't offer a licensed Linux BD player. I'm thankful I found this.
GuruMeditation

Post by GuruMeditation »

That helps me with my problem :) Although the timing is very suspicious as it stopped working right after a bios update, it could be the drive has become defective. I'll order me a replacement BD drive and have it shipped out to me.