AnyDVD error, but it's not running

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
mulox

AnyDVD error, but it's not running

Post by mulox »

I am brand new to makemkv and trying to decide if I want to buy it for blu-ray ripping. I have most of my movies already backed up to iso format from using AnyDVD HD and want to just convert those over without having to re-rip the original discs.

Not sure if this is a known issue/bug, but every time I load the iso, makemkv throws a popup error that AnyDVD is running and I need to close it, but it is not (I checked background processes too). Also, the message states that makemkv needs to handle decryption to avoid playback issues, but the iso on my hard drive was already decrypted by AnyDVD, so in theory this is not relevant... ?
Romansh

Re: AnyDVD error, but it's not running

Post by Romansh »

It's just a precaution. AnyDVD used to have bugs that caused issues for MakeMKV, though as far as I know they have now all been fixed.
mulox

Post by mulox »

oh ok, thanks for the clarification. I guess I would either remove the message completely, or else fix the bug so that it actually checks for the background process.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

mulox wrote:oh ok, thanks for the clarification. I guess I would either remove the message completely, or else fix the bug so that it actually checks for the background process.
The issue is not a background process. The problem is that if ISO was created by AnyDVD, it could have led to certain bugs, as (very old) versions of AndDVD did damage the ISO structure. As mentioned above, these bugs are long time fixed in AnyDVD and I can't recall AnyDVD-related issues for a while. Treat this message as harmless warning. However if you have really old ISO files, made with affected AnyDVD version - then you have been warned.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Perhaps the error message could be clarified to indicate that the input was processed with AnyDVD, rather than say "AnyDVD is running"?
dannyboy48888

Post by dannyboy48888 »

I agree as anydvd does make a folder on BD HDD rips. Had issues with stargate season 10 DVD's As anydvd was cutting espiode out (scratched disc) and telling makeMKV all was well instead of passing the error. Running straight MakeMKV did it's job and told me to check my disc and showed all 4 episodes. This was ~3 months ago.