Problems With Multiple Discs - Illegal Request

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Piltorious

Problems With Multiple Discs - Illegal Request

Post by Piltorious »

The error I get on most movies is:

...Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:ILLEGAL MODE FOR THIS TRACK' occurred while reading...

So far I have successfully ripped:
Savages
Prometheus

Failed multiple attempts on:
Megamind
Tangled
Marvel Avengers

All of the failed discs were in perfect condition although I am well aware that just because a disc does not have scratches doesn't mean that it didn't have write problems. I am curious why it plays entirely well in my blu-ray player and then fails to read when ripping?

And, does the industry release newer blu ray protection and possibly make certain files fail on purpose so the entire process will fail for those of us backing up our discs?

I am using 1.8.3 on a Win8 Pro 64bit with an LG 12x SATA drive (UH12NS29) that I've bought 2 months ago and is highly rated.

I increased fail attempt setting to 25 already, still fails.

Ideas? Or are most blu ray discs just prone to fail ripping?
austingrd

Re: Problems With Multiple Discs - Illegal Request

Post by austingrd »

What's the latest AACS version that shows up on your main screen? Make sure it's up to date.
Mistakes are learning tools. Image
adejohn

Post by adejohn »

austingrd: Could you explain how to check and/or update the AACS version?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

When you start MakeMKV, check the right hand section of the program window, where it says "Info". You should see something like this:
Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom0
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BDDVDRW UH08LS10
Revision: 2.00
Serial number: H9M9B395441
Firmware date: 2009-10-26 12:34:56
Highest AACS version: 36

No disc inserted
You really don't want the AACS version on the drive to go up, but you can't really prevent it from happening.
noved

Post by noved »

I'm sorry for the "me too" response, but I too cannot process Megamind BluRay discs. I've tried two brand new discs (I bought one, my parents bought the other). MakeMKV reports errors like, "SCSI error - Medium Error:No Seek Complete", and a bunch of lines of "DEBUG: Code 0, Code 2, and CODE XXXXXXXX" output. MakeMKV has successfully scanned numerous BluRay discs for me before and after my attempts to scan Megamind.

MakeMKV can process most titles on the Megamind BD. Just not the main title. Does this mean Megamind BD has copy protection that MakeMKV can't process?

Megamind Blu-ray disk shows 'AACS v21". MakeMKV shows my drive info with "Highest AACS version: 31" Does that mean this drive can handle AACS encryption version below 31?

btw, it seems really weird that MakeMKV would be reporting SCSI seek errors when the BluRay drive I'm using is a USB connected drive; with no internal USB>SCSI bus interface going on within the drive enclosure. (BluRay drive is a HP BD ROM BC-55015)
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV is reporting the errors it is getting from the operating system. No matter how the drive connects to the computer, it is being treated by the operating system as a SCSI device. SCSI isn't "just" how the cabling is done, it also defines the command protocol.
noved

Post by noved »

ok, the kext that MakeMKV requires be installed on a MacOS provides a SCSI API interface that MakeMKV talks to for reading raw DB disc data. Hence the "SCSI" identifier in the error log.

Without getting into more lessons on how MakeMKV does what it does, do these errors basically mean that MakeMKV cannot decode the encryption used on MegaMind, Tangled, and Avengers BluRay discs?

thanks
dagger01

Post by dagger01 »

Something that worked for me:

/faq/item/7

It slows it down but it did rip the title I was having issues with.