MakeMKV seems to stop in the middle of a backup

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
bubbles

MakeMKV seems to stop in the middle of a backup

Post by bubbles »

I have backed up many of my BD disks successfully in the past...worked every time. I am now on v1.7.4. Backup starts and then it seems to stop, as if waiting for something. It's been sitting for the past 30-mins with no further activity. Also happened to my other BDs recently.

Attached is a JPG screenshot.
MakeMKV screenshot 20120418.jpg
MakeMKV screenshot 20120418.jpg (362.07 KiB) Viewed 10833 times
Except for MakeMKV version upgrades, nothing has changed: same computer, same USB hard drive, same BD player, etc.

Suggestions please? Thanks.
BlackDragon24

Re: MakeMKV seems to stop in the middle of a backup

Post by BlackDragon24 »

bubbles wrote:I have backed up many of my BD disks successfully in the past...worked every time. I am now on v1.7.4. Backup starts and then it seems to stop, as if waiting for something. It's been sitting for the past 30-mins with no further activity. Also happened to my other BDs recently.

Except for MakeMKV version upgrades, nothing has changed: same computer, same USB hard drive, same BD player, etc.

If you are making the backup from a commercially bought disc, then I would try and make an un-decrypted backup of the entire disc first and then try and generate an mkv from that source.
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

BlackDragon24 wrote:
bubbles wrote:I have backed up many of my BD disks successfully in the past...worked every time. I am now on v1.7.4. Backup starts and then it seems to stop, as if waiting for something. It's been sitting for the past 30-mins with no further activity. Also happened to my other BDs recently.

If you are making the backup from a commercially bought disc, then I would try and make an un-decrypted backup of the entire disc first and then try and generate an mkv from that source.
Sorry, I think I lost you there...how do I make an "un-decrypted backup of the entire disc first"?

Thanks.
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

keiooz wrote:Hhmmm... Looks weird. I haven't encountered something like this though I got one movie that it stopped for at least 30 minutes and get back to loading afterwards.Image
Yes...I'm baffled. The JPG screen shot says that the time remaining was nearly 32 hours!
BlackDragon24

Post by BlackDragon24 »

bubbles wrote:
BlackDragon24 wrote:

Sorry, I think I lost you there...how do I make an "un-decrypted backup of the entire disc first"?

Thanks.
Open makeMKV, allow the program to recognize the disc. DO NOT click on the button to decrypt it. Instead look at the buttons on the top left of the GUI....one of them allows you to backup. Click that, and leave the "decrypt" option unchecked. This will make a full disc backup.
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

Problem solved! Thought I'd share this and to thank those who tried to help.

Turned out that I had my USB 2.0 hard drive plugged into a USB 3.0 port. Not sure how it is related but everything became normal when I plugged it back into a USB 2.0 port. This also resolved problems with my USB 2.0 flat-bed scanner which now works fine.

Regards
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@bubbles

Hi!

Turned out that I had my USB 2.0 hard drive plugged into a USB 3.0 port. Not sure how it is related but everything became normal when I plugged it back into a USB 2.0 port. This also resolved problems with my USB 2.0 flat-bed scanner which now works fine.

That is potentially very useful information for a great many users!

Thanks for sharing ;>}