Minor Disc Errors

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
rkofcal

Minor Disc Errors

Post by rkofcal »

Hi,

I have a blu-ray disc that has a very small scratch on it, and it causes my blu-ray movie player to skip a few seconds. It's barely noticeable in terms of playback.

Using makemkv to rip the movie, I get the infamous error message relating to bad sectors. Makemkv eventually aborts. It's very good to know that there were errors detected, but it seems a bit too binary to just give up and abort the process. Movie players occasionally come across discs with minor errors in them and usually recover after a brief "intermission". It would be ideal if makemkv could duplicate that behavior.

With my disc (with the small scratch in it), I tried the other well known ripper and it had a similar fate. Then I tried a newer ripper (the chinese company) which also produces mkv files. That one produced the movie despite the scratch. At the point in the movie where the data is corrupt, the playback image freezes for about a minute though the file still plays (time keeps advancing), then continues on past the error. This is a much better result.

I don't know how difficult it is to mimic DVD/BLU-Ray movie player behavior, but it is a feature that I would put a high value on.