Problem with Toy Story 2 BD

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
DaveQ

Problem with Toy Story 2 BD

Post by DaveQ »

Hi,

About a week ago I started ripping my Blu-ray collection with makemkv, encoding the movies with Handbrake, and storing them on a Plex media server in my home theater. I've used makemkv for a couple dozen discs with no problems, until now. For most of that time I've been using v. 1.6.14, but yesterday I upgraded to 1.6.15.

I tried ripping Toy Story 2 last night, and noticed makemkv had trouble doing it. It started ripping, but the read rate was up and down and all over the place during the rip, fluctuating between 0X and 3.5X. Even when it appeared that the read rate was high (3X or so), sometimes the Output size wouldn't change at all for 10 or 20 seconds, then it would update.

This went on longer than for any other Blu-ray disc I've ripped, but eventually it said it was complete.

The problem is that the rip appears to be screwed up. It said that the title was 22.4 GB before it started ripping, but the actual file it wrote to the hard drive is only around 19 GB. When I open the title in VLC, and skip ahead to a few random spots in the movie, it appears to play alright. However, if I skip to the end credits, they appear to be okay but they're ending a few minutes before the end of the file itself, according to the running time shown for the file. I checked and the runtime for Toy Story 2 is supposed to be 92 minutes, but for some reason the file is more than 95 minutes long. That makes me think the movie is okay, but has an extra 3 minutes of cruft at the end which VLC can't play.

I started Handbrake on the encode, so we'll see what it does with the end of the file. I suppose I'll just have to sit down and watch the whole thing through to see if it's okay, but I'm wondering if anybody else had these kinds of problems with that movie, or if I'm somehow doing something wrong that's causing the problems.

Update: While I've been typing this up, I've had makemkv working on ripping The Incredibles. It's doing the same exact thing with that title as well. For example, the output size is about 12,000 M right now, but it isn't increasing at the moment. However the read rate says it's reading at about 3X. Okay, now the output size is increasing again, but the read rate is down to 0.5X. (A minute later...) Now it's acting 'normal' again, with the read rate at 3.5X and the output size increasing quickly.

I've ripped other Pixar titles with no issues, including Wall-E, Cars, and Toy Story (the first one). I've also ripped many other non-Pixar titles without issue. Can anybody confirm or deny that certain Pixar titles are problematic?

Thanks,
Dave
AKW_Kovu

Re: Problem with Toy Story 2 BD

Post by AKW_Kovu »

I can only say that they DID work on 1.6.14 because I ripped them back then.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Generally, the "hangs" in middle are noticeable when movie has a LOT of seamless branching segments (look for "source file" changing during copy). This is common with Disney titles. Also, starting from 1.6.12 , MakeMKV detects and removes the useless logo at start of the movie - Disney often puts there a second logo with castle stating something like "Disney home video". This can contribute to shorter title size.
DaveQ

Post by DaveQ »

Thanks for your replies.

Despite the problems it seemed to be having when ripping, the movies appear to be complete -- though both of them are significantly smaller on disc than the sizes initially indicated. 3 GB seems like too much of a difference for the home video logo sequence to account for, but who knows?

Toy Story 2's running time is incorrect in the full uncompressed rip, about 3 minutes too long and with one more chapter than it's supposed to have. However when encoded with Handbrake, the running time and chapter count are correct.

In any case, everything appears to have worked out fine. Thanks for a great tool.

Dave