Can't get rid of the "Trivia" notes

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
NapMan

Can't get rid of the "Trivia" notes

Post by NapMan »

This is happening to me on the Cast Away blu-ray. The main title on the disc, once ripped, shows the boxes on the screen with trivia about the movie. I don't know how to get rid of that. Has anyone experienced that?
Woodstock

Re: Can't get rid of the "Trivia" notes

Post by Woodstock »

Such notes are probably a subtitle track. Have you checked your player to see if it is displaying subtitles?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I don't have that blu-ray so I can't say for certain, but as Woodstock suggests, it might be a subtitle track that's defaulted to on.

MediaInfo is a handy tool to help you see what tracks are actually in your .mkv files.
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

Firstly, @Woodstock: 10K posts! Woohoo!

@Napman: Did you happen to convert the file using Handbrake with an option set to "burn in" a subtitle track?

Otherwise, MKVToolnix can be used to adjust the "Default" and "Forced" behaviour of the tracks without re-ripping the file.
GnomeFondler

Post by GnomeFondler »

There's a different feature of blurays that's rarely used called a secondary video stream that shows PiP-like boxes, it's probably not subtitles (since they'd want it to be usable with the subtitles / closed captions). BD+ can also draw things like this but it's highly unlikely.

If you want to get rid of it from an already-ripped file, you can open the M2TS in TSMuxerGUI and look for a second video stream with the "Secondary (PIP)" box checked in the general track options, and just delete it from the file. If you ripped to MKV and it's doing it you might need to open it with MKVToolnix and do something similar.
Sunoo

Post by Sunoo »

Several discs I have have a second playlist with that sort of stuff burned in to the video. It’s possible your disc has that and you’ve ripped that version by accident.
magsol76

Post by magsol76 »

I have the opposite issue. I want to to rip the storyboard video track from the Rango bluray but can't figure out how? When i play the disc in vlc i can select the second stream which is the storyboards. But none of the ripped files have a second stream (i selected all and copied them with makemkv)?
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

MakeMKV hides second (and subsequent) video tracks and there is no way, to the best of my knowledge (as of v1.17.6), to make it display them.

Have a search around this forum for "Picture-In-Picture tracks" as the subject has been discussed at length, including a work-around using MKVToolNix.