DTS-HD / TrueHD question

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
SpaceAgeHero

DTS-HD / TrueHD question

Post by SpaceAgeHero »

Hey people,

in the past I have stored my movies with DTS-HD / TrueHD audio but without conversion to FLAC (using dts decoder dll).
Recently I decided to use conversion.
Now my question is: do I have to rerip all my discs to get the full audio quality, or can I simply decode/compress the audio tracks of my existing mkv files?
Whenever I copied a movie I chose the best audio available (PCM < DTS-HD < TrueHD ...), without it's core tracks though.
Did MakeMKV store the tracks losslessly even without the dts decoder dll being present and without the core tracks?
This may sound like dumb questions, but I'm just not sure.

Any helpful response would be apreciated, as I want the best quality possible. Thanks!

Edit: Sorry, posted this in the wrong forum. :?
Smithcraft

Re: DTS-HD / TrueHD question

Post by Smithcraft »

The dll is only needed for conversion and has no effect on copying the streams from the disc to the drive.

You had to include the core tracks otherwise you would not have the HD Audio. What you did not do was duplicate the core track.

To convert, you should be able to open the existing file with MakeMKV, and use the FLAC profile to get a new file with FLAC audio streams.

SC
SpaceAgeHero

Post by SpaceAgeHero »

Thanks for the heads up.

I've already tested the method you described.

Is there any way I can do the audio-conversion with MakeMKV but leave the source mkv settings / flags untouched (such as track order, track titles, forced flags etc.)?

Thanks again.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

It should preserve track names and track order. It probably won't preserve forced flags.