trouble with Bridesmaids?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
kbutler84

trouble with Bridesmaids?

Post by kbutler84 »

I'm getting the SCSI error on this disc (brand new no scratches), but not have any trouble with other older titles. Would this by chance be an issue with the new AACS version? Any suggestions?

Edit:
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:ILLEGAL MODE FOR THIS TRACK' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/50339.m2ts' at offset '2139095040'
setarip_old

Re: trouble with Bridesmaids?

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!
Would this by chance be an issue with the new AACS version?
No - I had no difficulty making a Full Disc backup on 9/20/11.

fr0z3ng33k

Post by fr0z3ng33k »

I didn't have an issue either.
captain

Post by captain »

All tracks except the main title rip just fine. Here's the log from the failed main title rip.
MakeMKV_log.txt
(7.6 KiB) Downloaded 470 times
Last edited by captain on Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Code: Select all

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/50338.m2ts' at offset '1784610816'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/50338.m2ts' at offset '1802108928'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/50338.m2ts' at offset '1802108928'
The error literally means the drive can't read the disc.

This is not a copy protection issue. There is no copy protection that can cause this.

There are 2 possibilities:
1. The disc is damaged, dirty, or poorly manufactured.
2. Your drive is failing.

Option 1 is much more likely, return it and get a new disc.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
captain

Post by captain »

Thanks for explaining the possible causes, in more detail than I've heard before. I guess the micro-fine scratch is causing the disc to be unreadable. Sad that blu-ray is such a fiddly medium that a tiny tiny scratch, on an otherwise perfect disc, causes a catastrophic read failure. :-(
captain

Post by captain »

I suppose it could be a bad drive too... Odd that it would only manifest on *specific* discs though. On the other hand, the second attempt at ripping this same disc resulted in *different* sectors, albeit from the same file, failing to read, yet still only three errors:

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/50338.m2ts' at offset '1825112064'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/50338.m2ts' at offset '1825112064'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/50338.m2ts' at offset '1825118208'
DEBUG: Code 0 at +f$R0"[k_0;Gk6#- {r@:29394298
DEBUG: Code 0 at s9u2n7C5-8_pC'*yY*ft:121261681
DEBUG: Code 0 at +f$R0"[k_0;Gk6#- {r@:29394183
DEBUG: Code 891171 at +f$R0"[k_0;Gk6#- {r@:29393309
DEBUG: Code 0 at lZh;q~Z2z^@ wI091*cc&:213134216
LIBMKV_TRACE: Exception: Error while reading input
Failed to save title 1

Maybe they are deliberately doing minor damage to their discs, and hoping that rippers will dwell on these imperfections, while players blissfullly pass them by? IIRC, that was a form of copy protection on floppy disks back in the day. I have searched high & low, and there does not appear to be an option for "whole disc" backup for blu-rays. Huh? I thought that was our backup backup solution. Was that only for DVD discs, did it go away, or am I just to daft to see it right in front of my face?
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

The backup option is at the top of the main window. It's only available before you press the big button:

As for what's causing the error, it's probably not scratches. The protective coating on BR is actually quite resilient and was one of the reasons it took longer to come to market than HD-DVD. However sometimes the discs can come with a slight film over the surface. If you have any glasses cleaner and a micro fibre cloth, you can try cleaning the surface and give it another go. Give the disc 2 squirts of cleaner then wipe from the centre ring out to the edge in straight lines. You might be lucky and fix it.

If the pressing machines are poorly calibrated they can really mess up production, but this isn't just a BR problem, there are plenty of bad DVD pressings as well. I've had much more problems with DVD's than I have with BR in the last 12 months.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
captain

Post by captain »

Being unable to find a "full disc backup" option that isn't greyed out, I tried Stream. That works up until the unreadable sector, and then freezes. Interestingly, the error is different:

DBG ASSERT: NG6.jZL7VPpr-.#_-Hv#1R@h%Ad5 at }IBH2[ROzN~F|LeM:29399335

EDIT: followed several minutes later by: "Fatal error occurred, program will now exit."

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask me to futz with it if I can help determine a solution to these kinds of problems.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Just to check, did you see my new post above yours, we both posted at the same time!
captain

Post by captain »

I see it, and after washing the disc with hot water and detergent, then restarting MakeMKV the "disc backup" icon is active! I'll give that a try now. Thanks!

I should re-try the standard MKV rip too, to rule out the washing vs. "disc backup" as the solution here.

EDIT: however, now I'm getting a lot *more* MEDIUM ERRORs. I think this is just a horribly bad disc, and you probably hit the nail on the head that it's a mastering error. Don't they QA these things at the factory?? :-P
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

One of the great things about BR is that they have hash checks in the stream files. When you use the backup option in MakeMKV it loads them then checks the ripped files against the hash file that the disc provided, so you can know for sure if the disc is bad or not. Personally, I run every disc I buy through MakeMKV's backup before I store it so I don't end up with any bad ones. I don't find them that often; maybe 1 every 30-40 discs?

I buy a lot of movies at Redbox; they sell the old rentals for either $3, $5 or $7, it's a great place for cheap movies if you don't care about getting the proper box. Some of them look like someone has used sandpaper on them but they rip fine. Others look perfect and won't even read in my standalone player.

I got a really cheap (REALLY cheap) USB BR drive off Amazon a few weeks ago. It only reads at 2x, but if I have a picky disc I set the re-read to 60 and just let it go. It gets the job done really well most of the time.
captain

Post by captain »

It looks like a *manufacturing* error. I've now tried two or three different copies of this disc and none of them work. The latest one won't even show up in MakeMKV! I get "loading disc" and then: Type: no disc. I even power-cycled the drive, restarted MakeMKV (ensuring that makemkvcon was terminated before restarting), and then loaded the disc. Epic fail on this one.
captain

Post by captain »

Belay that!

WTF??? So, despite this being a *brand new* disc, rubbing it on my shirt and actually scratching it up a bit causes it to be readable. Huh?? Or, is this a problem with MakeMKV not working on first mount, but working after a second try? All I can do here is tell you exactly what I did to make it work; it makes no sense to me that suddenly I'm able to rip this disc.

1) shut down MakeMKV and power-cycled the blu-ray drive.
2) turn on drive
3) fire up MakeMKV
4) insert brand new disk and watch it go into the drive
5) MakeMKV tries to load disc but fails with "no disc"
6) eject disc using MakeMKV eject button
7) check disc for dust & scratches (none)
8) rub disc on shirt (now has very fine scratches on surface)
9) insert disc
10) MakeMKV mounts it and rips it!

11) click MakeMKV's eject button and watch MakeMKV freeze up with Elapsed time *to eject* passing FOUR MINUTES now. oy vey!
12) Quit MakeMKV (YES, stop current failing operation to eject the disc)
13) notice that makemkvcon does NOT close down**
14) note that disc is mounted in OSX and click eject there (fail)
15) press eject button on drive (fail)
16) power cycle drive to get disc out

Memory
Real Memory Size: 556.9MB
Virtual Memory Size: 1.12GB
Shared Memory Size: 0
Private: 542MB
Virtual Private: 570MB

Statistics

Recent hangs: 0
Threads: 10
Ports: 89
CPU Time: 8:13 and counting
Context Switches: 2288000 and counting
Faults:
Page Ins: 615
etc...

Open Files and Ports

/Applications
/Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/MacOS/makemkvcon
/Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/MacOS/libmakemkv.dylib
/Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/MacOS/libdriveio.dylib
/usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.7.dylib
/usr/lib/dyld
/private/var/db/dyld/dyld_shared_cache_i386
/dev/null
->0x0dabbf40
->0x0fa793f0
/private/etc/security/audit_control
/Users/captain/MakeMKV_log.txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Extras2.rsrc
->0x0fa77514
->0x0dabbf40
/dev/urandom
/private/tmp/MakeMKV-0x2a70-0.tmp
/makemkvshm2a70
/makemkvsem02a70
/makemkvsem12a70
count=1, state=0x2
/dev/rdisk10
->0x22146f30
->0x22146630
->0x22147e60
/private/etc/security/audit_class
captain

Post by captain »

In the continuing saga...

So, it looks like my BD drive (Plextor PX-B310U) does not read this new crop of discs marked "RENTAL" at the bottom (I think they have all been WarnerBros. discs too). I just went through about 25 disc changes, hoping that maybe the drive would read the disc and rip it like that one above, but no. I wasn't able to get this disc recognized EVER. I did, however alternately insert each of three other blu-ray discs (What Dreams May Come, Gattaca, The Big Blue) and MakeMKV was able to read them every time.

I'll be trying a new BD reader soon, and will try to report back on how that goes. I don't guess there's much MakeMKV can do if the hardware won't read the discs, eh?