Errors when trying to rip a blu ray disc

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
bubbascant

Errors when trying to rip a blu ray disc

Post by bubbascant »

I have an Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10 blu ray drive in my Windows 10 computer. I have successfully ripped hundreds of Blu Ray movies, including zones outside the U.S. as well as Ultra HD 4K movies without any issue. I did the upgrade Flash about a year ago so the Asus will burn these. No problem there.

I am seeing some similar error messages from other users but not anything that I could pull from to fix this so these occasional discs that don't rip will do so. I have done the usual cleaning of the disc, soft cloth as so forth.

Here is what the movie LOGAN reports when trying to rip using MakeKMV.
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/02577.mts'
Error 'OS error =- STATUS DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\Cdrom0' at offset '14469820416' (that error is repeated several times)
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC ONCORRECTABLE ERROR occurred while reading.... (same as on the first error above - and this is also repeated several times).
Then
Failed to save title - to the file H/MOVIES/Logan_t00.mkv

I have also gone to the the website where I can download the KEYDB.cfg (but did that for a Ultra HD 4K that wouldn't get recognized a couple of weeks ago and after doing what the instructions said, it then did rip).

These are usually always Blu Ray movies that fail. Out of the hundreds of these that I've burned, I would say about 5% might experience this. Sometimes cleaning and trying multiple times can produce the desired movie to rip.

I also have tried a different Blu Ray drive (external) but it didn't help so I sent it back to Amazon. Perhaps I should try another one. I'd appreciate any feedback there. I would want one that would rip the 4K Blu Rays for example.

Thank you so much!
MartyMcNuts

Re: Errors when trying to rip a blu ray disc

Post by MartyMcNuts »

bubbascant wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2024 7:28 pm
I have an Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10 blu ray drive in my Windows 10 computer. I have successfully ripped hundreds of Blu Ray movies, including zones outside the U.S. as well as Ultra HD 4K movies without any issue. I did the upgrade Flash about a year ago so the Asus will burn these. No problem there.

I am seeing some similar error messages from other users but not anything that I could pull from to fix this so these occasional discs that don't rip will do so. I have done the usual cleaning of the disc, soft cloth as so forth.

Here is what the movie LOGAN reports when trying to rip using MakeKMV.
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/02577.mts'
Error 'OS error =- STATUS DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\Cdrom0' at offset '14469820416' (that error is repeated several times)
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC ONCORRECTABLE ERROR occurred while reading.... (same as on the first error above - and this is also repeated several times).
Then
Failed to save title - to the file H/MOVIES/Logan_t00.mkv

I have also gone to the the website where I can download the KEYDB.cfg (but did that for a Ultra HD 4K that wouldn't get recognized a couple of weeks ago and after doing what the instructions said, it then did rip).

These are usually always Blu Ray movies that fail. Out of the hundreds of these that I've burned, I would say about 5% might experience this. Sometimes cleaning and trying multiple times can produce the desired movie to rip.

I also have tried a different Blu Ray drive (external) but it didn't help so I sent it back to Amazon. Perhaps I should try another one. I'd appreciate any feedback there. I would want one that would rip the 4K Blu Rays for example.

Thank you so much!
Get a Pioneer drive from a seller on this forum.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG + Others) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://uhdenableddrives.com
bubbascant

Post by bubbascant »

Would you help me find the right link so I make sure I get the right one? Or perhaps the exact model? Do you know if I will have to do flash update as I did on my Asus so it would burn Blu Ray and Ultra HD 4K?

I've not done anything in the forum related to finding a seller.

I sure appreciate it. Thanks so much!
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Here's the section of the forum where the sellers have their threads. https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=20

As near as I can tell, they've got a gentleman's agreement based on geography.
Billycar11 is in the USA: https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17831
MartyMcNuts is Australia, New Zealand, etc: https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18747
Asmcom is Europe: https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387

Their offerings of Pioneer drives are little different based on what's available in their corner of the world. I would expect the drive you get from them to be tested, functional, and ready to go when it arrives. They'll be able to answer any questions you have about the differences between whatever drives they sell.

So, find your nearest seller and send them an email to get the conversation started.
bubbascant

Post by bubbascant »

Thank you so much for that further input. I'm just curious as to the Pioneer versus the LG for example? I've seen some good comments on the LG and the Pioneer but in checking the price, the Pioneer is quite a bit more expensive. As I only come across a failed disc not burning every so often, I'd like to not spend too much.

Please let me know. Thank you very much!
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

bubbascant wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2024 11:32 pm
Thank you so much for that further input. I'm just curious as to the Pioneer versus the LG for example? I've seen some good comments on the LG and the Pioneer but in checking the price, the Pioneer is quite a bit more expensive. As I only come across a failed disc not burning every so often, I'd like to not spend too much.

Please let me know. Thank you very much!
LG external drives are slightly better quality than the LG internal desktop drives.

Pioneer drives are far superior in overall quality and the components used and are the recommended and preferred readers/writers. They are way quieter too!
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG + Others) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://uhdenableddrives.com