Text Commentary - Subtitle Issue - Star Trek II Wrath of Khan Director's Cut

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
ghoutr888

Text Commentary - Subtitle Issue - Star Trek II Wrath of Khan Director's Cut

Post by ghoutr888 »

Hello,

I'm encountering a sort of strange issue. I'm attempting to rip the Text Commentary of Michael and Denise Okuda on Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan Director's Cut. This is an actual subtitle track, not a PIP-type video overlay type commentary, however it is one of those with a special background like shown below.

The issue I'm running into though is not that MakeMKV doesn't recognize this track, but that it is only capturing the Japanese version of this subtitle track.

I've also attempted to make a backup of the disc and try in MKVToolnix, but there also I'm only seeing the Japanese version.

Does anyone know if there's a way to pick English for this particular subtitle track? Thanks!
Sunoo

Re: Text Commentary - Subtitle Issue - Star Trek II Wrath of Khan Director's Cut

Post by Sunoo »

Are you certain it’s a subtitle track? Some of these are displayed using Java and aren’t actually subtitles.
ghoutr888

Re: Text Commentary - Subtitle Issue - Star Trek II Wrath of Khan Director's Cut

Post by ghoutr888 »

I agree it's likely derived using Java - I can see the background image in the JAR folder of the backup I made. But that image and the Japanese text over it are making their way into a subtitle track that is listed in MakeMKV (and MKVToolnix). Here is a screenshot playing the mkv in vlc. If there was a way to just have it pick the English text at whatever point this subtitle track is generated, that would do it. Maybe there's something I could manipulate in the saved backup folder that might do the trick when then opening in MKVToolnix?

Sunoo

Post by Sunoo »

I don’t own that disc (and your screenshots aren’t loading for me for some reason), but it’s likely possible to decompile the Java code and convert it to subtitles, not sure if it’s worth the effort or not though.

Someone on these forums did that for the Back to the Future trilogy, which I followed and it worked, but was a bit of effort: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22423

The exact steps would be different for this, but the general idea should still apply. If I owned the disc in question, I’d be willing to take a swing at it, but unfortunately I do not.
Epitaph

Post by Epitaph »

I have the UHD collection which includes the bluray and I was just pulling the extras off the discs yesterday. They are indeed java based. I ripped the disc with all English and Japanese subtitles just to be sure.
ghoutr888

Post by ghoutr888 »

Thanks. Sorry about the images - if you right click and open in new tab, they come up. Not sure what's going on there.

Yeah, can see about getting into the Java code. But what I'm still kind of wondering - how did MakeMKV generate this subtitle when opening the disc? Somehow it ran the code (or whatever equivalent) and "made" this subtitle track with the background and Japanese text.
ghoutr888

Post by ghoutr888 »

Thanks again Sunoo for pointing me to that thread and JD-GUI decompiler. I found the file with that commentary text - I should be able to wrangle that into an srt file.