Just a Tip For Blu-Ray Issues

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
StrangeBrew

Just a Tip For Blu-Ray Issues

Post by StrangeBrew »

I know sometimes we get frustrated with a BR (or DVD) disc getting caught, hitting a snag and getting SCSI or POSIX error messages, even though the disc is brand new and you inspected it three, four or five times, even wiped it down with alcohol and microfiber sheets, all to no avail (GULP! that was a long sentence). But a new trick, and I know this might not be new to many of you, is to quit looking at the quality of the disc you're trying to backup and instead look at the elements within the title you're trying to save. If a title fails you, and it does very often on TV episodes, simply go back to the element (don't eject the disc), and remove unnecessary sub-elements. If you're backing up with all the audio tracks and all the subtitle tracks, uncheck all that are not the master audio of the title. But the most common culprit of corrupt sub-files are the "subtitles." I know many of you want them, but for those (like me) who could care less about subtitles, uncheck them and retry the backup. I've done this at least 30 times and the title saved as normal.

This post is for informational purposes only. I've worked through most of my "hiccups" with workarounds, but if you have a valuable time-saving or trouble-saving tip, please reply below. I'm always looking for little hacks that make things work. Also, it should be noted that the issues I outlined above are not MakeMKV's fault. This is an issue on the disc you're using, even brand new discs, as a way for studios/distributors to discourage us from backing up the media WE OWN.

DO NOT give up! Clean your discs first thing, then work the process I spoke of above. When issues arrive, start by unchecking subtitle sub-elements of the disc. If that didn't work, get rid of those commentary tracks, then the DVS tracks and keep going until your down to one audio track and one video track. The system works an estimated 85% of the time. At least that's my current success rate. Feel free to comment on your own success rate with working out issues below. I love to see new tricks.
dcoke22

Re: Just a Tip For Blu-Ray Issues

Post by dcoke22 »

I typically make a decrypted backup of a disc first and then make .mkv files from the backup. I find that when a disc gives me trouble, trying a different drive often works. Not always, but often. If it doesn't work, then I try cleaning the disc. Having more than one different drive has been made a big improvement in my success rate.