Help me figure out Playlist Obfuscation?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
kirkdickinson

Help me figure out Playlist Obfuscation?

Post by kirkdickinson »

I see all these posts about playlist obfuscation. Can someone please explain that to me and how to deal with it? Point me to a FAQ by all means if there is one. In the past, I mostly make MKV's from DVD's but have been doing some Blu-ray. I notice sometimes that when I rip one, there are 10-12 huge files that result from the rip. They all look the same to me, I have just been picking the 1st one and deleting the rest.

Are some/all of them scrambled or something?

I see people posting stuff like this:
Title information
Name: Robin Hood
Source file name: 00610.mpls
Duration: 1:56:08
Chapters count: 16
Size: 32.5 GB
Segment count: 15
Segment map: 512,503,511,505,508,515,509,514,507,510,513,502,506,501,504
File name: Robin Hood_t105.mkv
How is this information obtained? Once I have it, how do I use it with MakeMKV?

Thanks,
Kirk
Woodstock

Re: Help me figure out Playlist Obfuscation?

Post by Woodstock »

Start with: What is the correct play list [insert title here]?

There are a number of members here that have come up with various ways to figure out which title is correct when MakeMKV can't make a choice. Most involve having BD-aware playback software that can be fooled into revealing the secret file name.
kirkdickinson

Post by kirkdickinson »

Thanks
The_Dee_Offish

Post by The_Dee_Offish »

Woodstock wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:58 pm
Start with: What is the correct play list [insert title here]?

There are a number of members here that have come up with various ways to figure out which title is correct when MakeMKV can't make a choice. Most involve having BD-aware playback software that can be fooled into revealing the secret file name.
That's fantastic. Do you have any reference on these forums for a list, or even a suggestion, of such BD playback software that can reveal the proper filenames or playlist orders?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The most popular tool is PowerDVD. I personally don't use it because I caught an older version of it trying to update the firmware on my drive without permission. Hopefully they've stopped that (it was almost a decade ago). But it's been pointed out in a few messages

I've read that PowerDVD's latest versions try hard to hide the "real file", probably so they can keep from being blocked in an AACS revocation update.