Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicals Season 2 Disc 1

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
dannyboy48888

Re: Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicals Season 2 Disc 1

Post by dannyboy48888 »

You're good, hence the point of a forum. We (mostly in Linux at least) are people that like to make a product that we would use ourself and to help others avoid the same mistakes we have learned from...even if they are alrady making it lol. Thought about something and it is a loooong shot. A while back I had to use wget to rip the matrix trilogy as makeMKV was failing at the very end (no errors). Grant it I had no chapters and had to post process with mkvtoolnix but it did save the title. Like I said a looong shot
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

I just finished ripping the playall, it took awhile, for one the disc errors slowed it down to a crawl, for another, I decided to rip buffy DVDs on the other drive and accidently opened the Blu Ray Drive in the meantime.

Anyway, it completed, I ripped a single title, the 'play all' and I now have a full length working MKV on my hard drive, yet MakeMKV is still sitting there stuck at 4% progress and using 12% of my CPU. One clue as to what going on is that at the ends of the episodes there's a music sequence, like there's supposed to be a video logo there, but there's no video to go with it. It's intruding onto the beginning of the next episode instead replacing the first few words of the opening voiceover. Every episode is like that, so this problem goes beyond simple physical damage to the disc. Is this worth reporting or should I wait until I can afford a replacement disc first?
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

Actually, I think something in MakeMKV got stuck somewhere near the beginning, started chewing through CPU power and therefore starved the main process of the resources it needed to process the disc. It makes no sense that it would continuously find errors across the entire length of the disc, especially since the blu ray player did just fine.
dannyboy48888

Post by dannyboy48888 »

Never hurts to send Mike a link to this particular thread, worse case he says try a new drive. Best case you found a bug and helped the community :D
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

I'm reconsidering. I examined the files more closely and have begun ripping each episode individually (start MakeMKV, rip episode, watch it freeze, wait until Windows gives the file a thumbnail then kill MakeMKV and repeat). Anyway, everything is fine until it reaches the pixilation point in the first episode, the screen goes to hell momentarily but after that the Audio is out of sync. It plays like that until the end of the episode where the end of the first episodes audio replaces the beginning of the seconds (ie the starting audio of the second episode is lost), after that the audio goes back in sync, until MakeMKV encounters a similar problem further towards the end of the second episode and apparently there's another bad patch about a third of the way into the third episode and I'm guessing there's another bad patch somewhere in the forth episode.

Does MakeMKV boast of making the most of defective discs or is the onus on me finding a better copy? (If I spend the $30 on a second copy and it does the same thing I'll be pissed :P)
dannyboy48888

Post by dannyboy48888 »

It does not boast error correction, but is does support protection based on defective sectors. For error recovery (if possible) with different drives I use the stream feature and wget -c to get the m2ts files. May not have chapters but I do at least have a title, Some discs are a lost cause though but I at least know I tried. If in doubt of a error report you only other options are try a different drive are accept the disc is bad. Although I'm going with option B you won't 100% know without another drive.
dannyboy48888

Post by dannyboy48888 »

Sucks the crap needed to get a new disc...and they wonder why pirating is high,sigh. Nice to know though that MakeMKV is doing it's job though and not passing bad data. Thanks and welcome to the forums :D