Have to run MakeMKV twice to get MKV file

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
stevesavanna

Have to run MakeMKV twice to get MKV file

#1 Post by stevesavanna » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:40 pm

Hi -

I'm new to MakeMKV and just have a quick question to make sure i'm doing this properly.

I'm using MakeMKV on a Mac and have successfully ripped several blu rays and UHD blu rays. I'm trying to ensure that i'm getting the full quality version of each blu ray and UHD blu ray i'm ripping including HDR. After ripping the disc I get a folder that includes - "BDMV" movie - in "AVCHD Collection" as the file type. I then re-run MakeMKV on this file type to get the MKV file and then load it onto my external hard drive. This method seems to work however i'm wondering if running this twice could impact quality? It's also not horribly efficient.

Any ideas if i'm doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Woodstock

Re: Have to run MakeMKV twice to get MKV file

#2 Post by Woodstock » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:58 pm

Curious why you don't just open the disk, rather than going through the backup process and THEN opening the backup.

The result should be the same.

dcoke22

Re: Have to run MakeMKV twice to get MKV file

#3 Post by dcoke22 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:25 pm

In order to skip the backup step, after you launch MakeMKV and insert a disc, click the disc in the left side pane. MakeMKV should start reading and interpreting the file structure on the disc and eventually present you with a list of checkbox items. From here it is just like opening a backup in MakeMKV except any MKVs you make will be made directly from the disc and not from a backup on your hard drive.