HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision & Audio Formats

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Daskew78

HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision & Audio Formats

Post by Daskew78 »

Hi,

When ripping a Blu-Ray with MakeMKV will it also rip HDR, HDR10+, Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and another audio formats?

Basically, is there anything it doesn't support? I just want to be sure I am getting the best copy possible.

Thanks.
Regards

Dave
SamuriHL

Re: HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision & Audio Formats

Post by SamuriHL »

Blu-ray doesn't have HDR10, HDR10+, or Dolby Vision. UHD does, and that's a different forum section. Nonetheless, the HDR10 formats will be retains as will the ATMOS and DTS:X audio formats. Dolby Vision, however is a more complex topic you should search the forum for if you're interested. It won't be done in an MKV container any time soon, but, is possible with certain caveats in MP4.
Daskew78

Post by Daskew78 »

Ahh sorry it was my understanding UHD disks are just multi-layered Blu-Rays from a video I saw on Youtube showing us how to use MakeMKV by a guy sponsored by Plex.

Regardless... can you just give me a little more information before I go off researching?

I want to backup my Blu-Rays with as much of the original data and codecs as possible. For example... Am I correct in thinking that MakeMKV can do this for everything audio and video provided it’s not Dolby Vision?

So use MakeMKV for everything but Dolby Vision and if I want to backup a disk with Dolby Vision I should use some other software?

Thanks.
Regards

Dave
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

So MakeMKV will keep all the original streams and package it into the MKV uncompressed. Whatever the quality is on the UHD, that's what you get in the MKV.

As for Dolby Vision, like I said, do a forum search as there's a couple threads discussing various means of backing it up and playing it. The problem isn't with MakeMKV, the problem with Dolby Vision stems from the fact that it's a closed source proprietary format that nothing supports outside of officially licensed players. There's no spec for Dolby Vision available for MKV.
Daskew78

Post by Daskew78 »

Okay thanks.

I've already been looking and I think the DVDFab UHD Ripper supports it.
Regards

Dave