Rip failed - "Copy complete. 0 titles saved, 1 failed."

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
mpc68

Rip failed - "Copy complete. 0 titles saved, 1 failed."

Post by mpc68 »

Hello,

This is my first post here. I've successfully ripped over 100 blu ray disks from my collection using MakeMKV so far without issue. So far, MakeMKV has been AWESOME for me!

I guess my luck finally ran out because I finally found one that I had trouble with. I'd rather not specify the movie for now (yes, I'm a bit paranoid), but it's the 3rd part of a major sci-fi trilogy from the late 70's / early 80's (hint hint). I bought the trilogy off ebay. The first 2 movies in the series ripped just fine. The 3rd movie in the trilogy appears to play in my Sony PS3 just fine. In addition, I should point out, there was a short segment that I ripped just for grins and that also worked OK.

However, when I rip the main (angle 1) movie segment, it fails. I get the error message...
"Copy complete. 0 titles saved, 1 failed."

Other parts of the message show the following...

MakeMKV v1.10.4 win(x64-release) started
DEBUG: Code 233 at LGhKfok3tQyEuYID5HbPwaVf:0
Operation successfully completed
Saving 1 titles into directory G:/OWNED_MOVIES/(movie title omitted...)
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00301.m2ts' at offset '39812265984'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom1' at offset '39812265984'
DEBUG: Code 3221225628 at *XmTU:GggV\`@uIcKS:121262969
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00301.m2ts' at offset '39812265984'
DEBUG: Code 100864261 at *XmTU:GggV\`@uIcKS:121262969
DEBUG: Code 0 at W?GGqm_M{/mv3zk_hi!U:213131387
LIBMKV_TRACE: Exception: Error while reading input
Failed to save title 1 to file G:/OWNED_MOVIES/(movie title omitted...)
Encountered 11 errors of type 'Read Error' - see /errors/read/
0 titles saved, 1 failed

I omitted a few lines, but you get the idea.

I should also note that I cleaned the disk multiple times and it looks spotless to me. I've successfully ripped other blu ray disks that look much worse.

Any hints or clues will be most helpful! Thanks!
yorgo

Re: Rip failed - "Copy complete. 0 titles saved, 1 failed."

Post by yorgo »

mpc68 wrote: The 3rd movie in the trilogy appears to play in my Sony PS3 just fine. In addition, I should point out, there was a short segment that I ripped just for grins and that also worked OK.
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom1' at offset '39812265984'
DEBUG: Code 3221225628 at *XmTU:GggV\`@uIcKS:121262969
Encountered 11 errors of type 'Read Error' - see /errors/read/
I should also note that I cleaned the disk multiple times and it looks spotless to me. I've successfully ripped other blu ray disks that look much worse.
The error code indicates the disc cannot be read therefore cannot be ripped. In fact, MakeMKV generated a link, highlighted above, that describes this and possible solutions which should be followed. If you've tried cleaning the disc and still encounter the problem, the disc is either damaged or manufactured badly (more likely), or your drive is in need of cleaning or failing (less likely).

When encountering disc problems in the future, start here before posting: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15055
tindivall

Post by tindivall »

When you get the error it gives you a link to : http://www.makemkv.com/errors/read/

The link that Yorgo provided doesn't help anymore than that link does.

Anyone know where to find this information:
The simple workaround is to copy all files from the disc to the hard drive manually, without MakeMKV running. If you succeed in this, there is a fast and simple way to convert such copy into encrypted MakeMKV backup that can be opened by MakeMKV later. See our forum for details.
I can get the segment map and copy each file individual over to my computer but I am not clear then how to have MakeMKV take those individual segment maps and make 1 file.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

That's actually a VERY good question.... one I had when I saw the errors page.

Suspicion (only that because I haven't tested it) is that you would use the same procedure as opening a backup, i.e., use the File-Open Files menu, navigate to the directory that was created by the copy, and selecting the index.bdmv found in the tree.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

The simple workaround is to copy all files from the disc to the hard drive manually, without MakeMKV running. If you succeed in this, there is a fast and simple way to convert such copy into encrypted MakeMKV backup that can be opened by MakeMKV later. See our forum for details.
The way I read Mike's new error message post (ie, my interpretation) was that one needed to copy and paste the files from the BD to a folder onto a computer, and the only way I've ever done that is by using AnyDVD first to remove encryption then dragging over either the BDMV folder or the individual .M2TS files. I've not tried any other methods. Perhaps Mike can clarify.
tindivall wrote: The link that Yorgo provided doesn't help anymore than that link does.
Actually, the link and response I posted should help. The error message you received indicates that some or all of the disc could not be read therefore could not be ripped. Even if the disc plays on a standalone player like your PS3, it does not mean it can be read for ripping. The disc could be dirty (fingerprints, or as Woodstock has posted elsewhere, a film left during manufacturing), damaged (scratches, cracks) or manufactured poorly (generally one cannot see this kind of error). Or, your drive could be dirty or be failing. Clean the disc, increase retry count, replace the disc, and/or try a different drive.
tindivall

Post by tindivall »

yorgo wrote:
tindivall wrote: The link that Yorgo provided doesn't help anymore than that link does.
Actually, the link and response I posted should help. The error message you received indicates that some or all of the disc could not be read therefore could not be ripped. Even if the disc plays on a standalone player like your PS3, it does not mean it can be read for ripping. The disc could be dirty (fingerprints, or as Woodstock has posted elsewhere, a film left during manufacturing), damaged (scratches, cracks) or manufactured poorly (generally one cannot see this kind of error). Or, your drive could be dirty or be failing. Clean the disc, increase retry count, replace the disc, and/or try a different drive.
I wasn't trying to step on your toes or hurt your feelings, I was just stating that your link just repeats the same information the error link gives without providing a whole lot more information other than cleaning the disc (which I would assume most anyone would do)

As for copy + paste of the files that is easy enough, i just went into the blu-ray disc found the multiples files associated with the playlist (it was a tv season and only 1 epidsode wouldn't rip)... however once copied over I didn't know what to do with them or how to make MakeMKV combine them back into one file like they would have done had it ripped it from the Blu-Ray. Ultimately it didn't matter tho because the 1 file that MakeMKV kept stalling on and gave the error for wouldn't copy over either... so just got a new disc.
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

No worries, no feelings hurt. Hopefully the disc replacement (which is one of the recommendations in the link posted earlier) works out for you. FYI, I've found that if MakeMKV cannot make a .mkv file of a track/playlist, then the same .m2ts file won't transfer over.