Star Wars: The Force Awakens and The Secret Life of Pets

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Kelvarr

Star Wars: The Force Awakens and The Secret Life of Pets

Post by Kelvarr »

I am getting "The source file '<path/*.m2ts>' is corrupt or invalid at offset xxxxxxxxxxx, attempting to work around" when trying to rip the bluray. It is only happening on these two blurays. Everything else is ripping fine. Both movies went from right out of an unopened case into my bluray drive. Both have been cleaned with soap and water. I also update the firmware on my BDdrive.

What do I need to post/attach log-wise for this to be looked at?

Also, I read somewhere (about the DVD) that bad sectors are intentionally put on the disc for anti-copy. Stand-alone players will read through/over them, but rippers will crash and burn. Any truth to that? Thank you for all your help!
Woodstock

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens and The Secret Life of Pet

Post by Woodstock »

I suggest trying to clean the disks first, as that is the most likely reason for read failures that lead to "corrupt or invalid" messages. All it takes is a light haze on the disk to do it, and I've been finding that on more and more new disks.

As for bad sectors - yes, that's been an issue since DVDs were first shipped. Parts of the disk are intentionally unreadable, so that it is easy to tell a pressed disk from a burned disks. But usually NOT in the video portion, at least not of the feature. There, they use multiple layers of encryption (see /svq/ for more information), or they include fake play lists that list parts of the disk that are unreadable (can be done on DVD also).

As for the log, follow the FAQ link in my signature for what needs to be turned on and what needs to be sent to support@makemkv.com if the cleaning doesn't fix things right up.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Kelvarr

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens and The Secret Life of Pet

Post by Kelvarr »

I cleaned the disc using soap and water and a lint-free cloth. I enabled debug, and forwarded the information.

I do want to report back though. This rip error seems to have something to do with Dolby Digital 2-chanel stereo (DD Stereo English). When I de-select that, the disc rips just fine.