Issue Ripping Commentary from Check Blu-Ray

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
nitro322

Issue Ripping Commentary from Check Blu-Ray

Post by nitro322 »

The season 4 blu-ray set for Chuck contains one commentary track, for episode 7 (Chuck vs. the First Fight). I'm unable to successfully rip this with MakeMKV. When doing a normal rip, I get two copies of this episode:

1. Contains the normal DTS-HD MA + Core audio tracks
2. Contains the same tracks as above, plus a third stereo DTS track

Attempting to play back that stereo DTS file, which seems like it should be the commentary, fails with every media player I've tried. It just causes the video to hang and stop playing, with silence output.

I also tried making a backup copy of the disc and looked at the M2TS files under STREAM/. This results in roughly the same thing - a file with a playable 5.1 DTS track, and a silent, seemingly broken 2.0 DTS track.

I'm not sure what else to do at this point. Season 5 contains two commentary tracks on the last disc, but both of those worked perfectly. Don't know why the one in season 4 fails. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Woodstock

Re: Issue Ripping Commentary from Check Blu-Ray

Post by Woodstock »

Do you have "Expert mode" enabled? (affects how you can select tracks)

When you click on the little triangle next to the title in the left hand window, it shows you all the tracks MakeMKV saw for it. Make sure you have the tracks selected - the default rules in MakeMKV will not grab EVERY track in a language, but manually selecting them should still work.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
nitro322

Re: Issue Ripping Commentary from Check Blu-Ray

Post by nitro322 »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely selecting all the available tracks, though. Just re-ripped again, double-checking expert mode is enabled, to confirm. The first instance of the track has the two DTS HD-MA + Core audio tracks like I described previously, along with chapters and a few subtitles. The second instance additionally has a DTS Express Stereo audio track and a couple extra subtitles (which appears to be for the commentary, based on their content), but it's missing the chapters for the episode. Just like before, though, the third audio track appears to be corrupt.

I did a little more testing this time and used mkvextract to extract both the main audio track as well as what I'm guessing is the commentary track. I then used dtsdec to decode each to a WAV file. I get the expected audio from the main DTS track, but from the commentary one dtsdec just complains about invalid data. So, something's definitely not getting ripped correctly.