Mad Max: Fury Road Color Space Issues

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
sun-tracker

Mad Max: Fury Road Color Space Issues

Post by sun-tracker »

(If this is posted in the wrong spot, please feel free to delete or move to the right sub-forum)

Having significant issues with Mad Max playback. Please see here: http://i.imgur.com/PJX5ScQ.jpg

Specifically, color space issues are pretty bad in certain parts, and reds in particular are often blown way out.

Computer is Win10 w/ i7-3930K and 16GB RAM. GTX 970. Codec pack installed is K-Lite.

VLC is used for playback testing on the output files.

Things I've tried so far: Resetting codec settings. Enabling/disabling hardware decoding. Check/Uncheck YUV-RGB decoding within VLC. Check/Uncheck various options within the K-Lite Codec Tool.

Nothing seems to have any effect on the quality of the playback within VLC. Thanks for any help/advice on how to resolve this!
Woodstock

Re: Mad Max: Fury Road Color Space Issues

Post by Woodstock »

Since the video is copied from the disk to the MKV file with only decryption being applied, it is in the playback. MakeMKV does not mess around with the color balance or anything else.

How is your monitor set up? Monitors can seriously affect the color saturation, both in their settings and how they are positioned, relative to your eyes. If I'm viewing something for more than just making sure I have the correct settings for compressing with handbrake, I watch it on a different monitor than I use for regular applications. That monitor has a much larger vertical viewing area than the pair that I use for day-to-day. These monitors require me to stand up to get the proper color balance; the other looks great at plus or minus 40 degrees vertically.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging