Another Wreck-It Ralph failure (bad sector copy protection?)

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
spawnd

Another Wreck-It Ralph failure (bad sector copy protection?)

Post by spawnd »

System:
MakeMKV v1.8.10 x64
Win8.0 x64
HL-DT-ST (LG) UH12NS30 v1.02 (and v1.00, failed with both firmwares)

Failed rip:
Wreck-It Ralph Collector's Edition BR, UPC 786936 532532

Symptoms:
MakeMKV scans disc just fine, lets me select titles, but rip fails with "MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR" messages after approximately 128-135 MB transferred

Notes:
- Brand new disc, straight out of the shrink wrap and into the drive tray. Disc is flawless.
- MakeMKV has ripped several other BDs with this system and drive both before and after the logged attempt.
- Same results after multiple attempts, reboots, and reinstallations of MakeMKV.
- In desperation I attempted to use AnyDVD HD 7.4.7.0 trial to rip the same disc, and that software also failed to create an image, erroring out at 0%.
- The disc plays fine in this same system/drive with Blu-Ray player software (e.g. AnyDVD HD + VLC). Disc also plays fine in my PS3.
- AnyDVD HD was always uninstalled/system rebooted before making a MakeMKV rip attempt.

I have error retries set to zero to make the problem evident faster - having error retries at the default of 5 just makes it spit out more error messages before it gives up.

Are we perchance seeing some new form of soft/bad sector copy protection cropping up in Disney BRs? I saw a few other topics about similar problems with Wreck-It Ralph, Toy Story 3, and Rio.

[edit] Submitted the log files/BDMV data to support@makemkv.com per the FAQ.

Thanks for the eyeballs!
Woodstock

Re: Another Wreck-It Ralph failure (bad sector copy protecti

Post by Woodstock »

Have you tested it with version 1.8.9? /download/old/
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
spawnd

Re: Another Wreck-It Ralph failure (bad sector copy protecti

Post by spawnd »

Tested it just now, thanks for the suggestion. 1.8.9 can't even get through the "Analyzing seamless segments" section. Gives errors about "source file corrupt or invalid at offset" during analyzing.