Our Family Wedding

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
mrdamour

Our Family Wedding

Post by mrdamour »

Has anyone had issues ripping this BluRay disc? These are the errors I am receiving... I've used two separate BluRay units.

Any help is APPRECIATED!

Saving 1 titles into directory /Volumes/Maitland
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00800.m2ts' at offset '1257504768'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00800.m2ts' at offset '1257504768'
DEBUG: Code 0 at oP7<gxdjGZU7/?98SfAI:121263038
DEBUG: Code 0 at PFSy^}4</.m*_d7s!<yJ:121261888
DEBUG: Code 0 at oP7<gxdjGZU7/?98SfAI:213130559
DEBUG: Code 614016 at oP7<gxdjGZU7/?98SfAI:29393286
DEBUG: Code 0 at 8?+PHLYFx>oJa_;n];bN@:213135090
LIBMKV_TRACE: Exception: Error while reading input
Failed to save title 0 to file /Volumes/Maitland/Our_Family_Wedding_t00.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed
Woodstock

Re: Our Family Wedding

Post by Woodstock »

Your drive cannot read part of the disk. Generally speaking, that is most likely caused by scratches or dirt, so cleaning the disk would be the first thing to try.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
mrdamour

Post by mrdamour »

The disc is brand new from Amazon and I've tried two separate players (ROM Drives). Could something be defective with the purchased disc?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Yes, it is possible to get a new and defective disk. Rare, but it happens. And Amazon is good about replacing them when it happens. And there are some disks that version 1.8.10 of MakeMKV has problems with, but they usually don't get the MEDIUM ERROR report. You can always try version 1.8.9 on the disks.... /download/old/ is where you'll find it, if you don't already have a copy.

That said, there ARE some additional things to try. Personally, I have three different machines with BD drives in them. I'll try a disk in all three of them before clicking the return button on the Amazon screen.

If it's a DVD, I will also try the two machines with DVD drives, AND two USB DVD drives I have, because I have had a few DVDs that simply refuse to work with the different wavelength laser in a BD drive, or the alignment of the drive head was just a fraction of a micron different, allowing a blemish on the surface to no longer be a factor.

And all of my machines have had the retry count in MakeMKV set higher than standard, so they'll try more times to get the drive to read the disk.

I also keep wax handy... in fact, my method of cleaning a disk is to spray it with Pledge furniture polish, work it in with a clean finger, then polish it with a soft cloth... it's amazing what it will do with disks that the family got to before I did.

But sometimes the defect is in the mastering of the disk. I went through two sets of Hercules The Legendary Journeys (30-DVD set) because one disk of season 5 had a track that was unreadable in any drive, in both sets... Ended up getting that one disk from Netflix.... and it had the same error in the same location! The operating system reported all three disks as unreadable.

But persistence paid off, as I was eventually able to get version 1.8.7 of MakeMKV to read the disk ONCE (all I needed) using a Samsung DVD drive. Sent Mike a LOT of log information on that one...
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging