Monsters University won't begin rip

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
lancorp

Monsters University won't begin rip

Post by lancorp »

US Blu-Ray version of Monsters University won't rip. The analysis shows three identical looking titles. Research found that the first one is the English one. When I choose it to rip, after a lengthy "analyzing segments", when it begins to RIP, I can hear the drive seeking back and forth a lot, but no data is being saved. After a minute or so, I start getting DEBUG codes shown in the file attachment.

I also tried title 3 (french, I believe), same thing.

Anyone else having problems? The disc is perfectly clean and no scratches.
Attachments
Error codes screenshot
Error codes screenshot
11-7-2013 4-04-27 AM.jpg (53.08 KiB) Viewed 32093 times
Lovely Rita

Re: Monsters University won't begin rip

Post by Lovely Rita »

No issues with this one.
I know that's not what you wanted to hear.
Registered User :wink:
Buy MakeMKV
LeonF63

Post by LeonF63 »

lancorp wrote:US Blu-Ray version of Monsters University won't rip. The analysis shows three identical looking titles. Research found that the first one is the English one. When I choose it to rip, after a lengthy "analyzing segments", when it begins to RIP, I can hear the drive seeking back and forth a lot, but no data is being saved. After a minute or so, I start getting DEBUG codes shown in the file attachment.

I also tried title 3 (french, I believe), same thing.

Anyone else having problems? The disc is perfectly clean and no scratches.
MakeMKV v1.8.6 darwin(x86-release)
I am having the same issue but 'analyzing segments' doesn't ever complete, I have to cancel it and with slightly different error message.
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:ID CRC OR ECC ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00939.m2ts' at offset '3864576'
Attachments
MakeMKVS Monsters University errors.jpg
MakeMKVS Monsters University errors.jpg (181.42 KiB) Viewed 31086 times
MakeMKV 1.8.6 Monsters University 1.jpg
MakeMKV 1.8.6 Monsters University 1.jpg (112.06 KiB) Viewed 31086 times
System Information Monsters University.jpg
System Information Monsters University.jpg (18.7 KiB) Viewed 31086 times
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Not a MakeMKV issue, your drive is telling you it can't read the disc:

Code: Select all

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:ID CRC OR ECC ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00939.m2ts' at offset '3864576'
Poorly pressed disc or dying drive.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
lancorp

Post by lancorp »

Mine was a never-played blu-ray disc. The movie plays fine in my blu-ray player.

I'm thinking more that it is some sort of copy protection scheme.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

The is no copy protection on Blu-ray that causes read errors.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
lancorp

Post by lancorp »

crowfax wrote:The is no copy protection on Blu-ray that causes read errors.
I'm not getting read errors, that was a different person with the "medium error".
I just get debug codes, constant thrashing of the drive at the start, etc.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

I'm sure someone else will reply with their input soon and will fix your issue.
meanmckean

Post by meanmckean »

I'd like to second this thread. I've been ripping with MakeMKV for over a year, hundreds of movies, numerous blurays.

Monsters University BluRay is the first unsuccessful rip I've found.

I was incorrectly trying the DVD first (its a 3 disc set and I picked the DVD by accident). The DVD failed to rip, reporting long times trying to figure things out, it and me eventually gave up.

So, then I saw the BD, and was hoping then the DVD was just toast. Pretty much the same outcome. Starts well enough, but quickly says things look corrupt and fails every time. There's 3 different angles of 25 GB on the disc, I tried 2 and both failed same way.

Took it out to the BluRay player and its playing fine. I rarely put things in the BluRay player, since MakeMKV is the first stop for all digital videos in my house.
lancorp

Post by lancorp »

meanmckean wrote:I'd like to second this thread. I've been ripping with MakeMKV for over a year, hundreds of movies, numerous blurays.

Monsters University BluRay is the first unsuccessful rip I've found.

I was incorrectly trying the DVD first (its a 3 disc set and I picked the DVD by accident). The DVD failed to rip, reporting long times trying to figure things out, it and me eventually gave up.

So, then I saw the BD, and was hoping then the DVD was just toast. Pretty much the same outcome. Starts well enough, but quickly says things look corrupt and fails every time. There's 3 different angles of 25 GB on the disc, I tried 2 and both failed same way.

Took it out to the BluRay player and its playing fine. I rarely put things in the BluRay player, since MakeMKV is the first stop for all digital videos in my house.
Just curious, do you somehow stream your digital MKV files to your TV? What do you use?

My M.O. is to use the MKV as digital "backups" and use a transcoder to convert the MKV to MP4 then stream those. I'd rather stream the MKV if that was possible as it's higher quality.
meanmckean

Post by meanmckean »

lancorp wrote: Just curious, do you somehow stream your digital MKV files to your TV? What do you use?

My M.O. is to use the MKV as digital "backups" and use a transcoder to convert the MKV to MP4 then stream those. I'd rather stream the MKV if that was possible as it's higher quality.
Yes, I stream using Plex PMS on Synology NAS 1512+. I stream to Plex Client on GoogleTV device Sony NSZ-GT1. It supports MKV formats in direct play mode and 99.9% of the time no transcoding is required (which is key when streamed from the low powered NAS). [ I recently had first experience to transcode MKV from a Pixar BluRay with a 7.1 Audio stream, which would not play direct. Plex server actually did an okay job on that, so must be smart enough to fiddle with audio transcoding and not video I don't know. ]

I have occasion to stream to an XBOX360, and that does not support MKV, so I will stream them from my high powered XPS730X Windows7, which is up to the transcoding needs flipping to MP4. In this case I have MediaMonkey server as the streaming server and have a rule set to transcode mkv to mp4 for that client device. This is all DLNA; MM is DLNA server, BubbleUpnp on my Android tablet is the DLNA controller, and XBOX360 is the DLNA render device. This is my path of least resistance, always a PITA to ask XBOX to stream things from a DLNA server.

I love my google TV. Thinking of getting another, perhaps the 2nd generation Sony device or maybe the Asus cube. First generation CPU does not support Amazon Prime HD TV videos.
meanmckean

Post by meanmckean »

So how does this typically work. Does anyone on this forum actually acknowledge errors and whether it will be addressed?

I guess I should put in some specifics, just in case.
- Windows7 Home SP1 64 Bit OS
- Samsung SH-B123L ODD (latest firmware SB04)
- MakeMKV 1.8.7 (latest)
- Monsters University BLURAY (not 3D) shrinkwrapped brand new

I always wondered why makeMKV had so many revisions because I never had issue. But, now seems they are somehow always needing to address new issues. Curious how a blu ray can be changing formats needing new revisions, since the blu ray hardware always manages to know how to play.
lancorp

Post by lancorp »

meanmckean wrote:So how does this typically work. Does anyone on this forum actually acknowledge errors and whether it will be addressed?

I guess I should put in some specifics, just in case.
- Windows7 Home SP1 64 Bit OS
- Samsung SH-B123L ODD (latest firmware SB04)
- MakeMKV 1.8.7 (latest)
- Monsters University BLURAY (not 3D) shrinkwrapped brand new

I always wondered why makeMKV had so many revisions because I never had issue. But, now seems they are somehow always needing to address new issues. Curious how a blu ray can be changing formats needing new revisions, since the blu ray hardware always manages to know how to play.
To address your last question, I would say that your Blu-ray player is not a "static" device. It's connected to the internet and can receive firmware updates needed to play the latest discs. So, as different disc formats come out, your player may need updates, so does MKV.

That's my guess, anyways.
meanmckean

Post by meanmckean »

For what its worth, the Monsters University BluRay is ripping fine now with 1.8.8 release.

Thanks
jcwillia1

Post by jcwillia1 »

I had an issue with this disc last night kept throwing audio errors at my AVR from my WDTV - I'm going to chalk it up to a bad rip (maybe a dirty disc?)