MakeMKV 1.7.5 - Subtitles not playing.

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
zyonuf79

Re: MakeMKV 1.7.5 - Subtitles not playing.

Post by zyonuf79 »

Just for the record..none of them show up in Media Center either.
nfusion

Post by nfusion »

Romansh wrote:
nfusion wrote:All 4 are not detected by default on o!Play (ie: they aren't "forced", and by "forced" i don't mean burned in). I have to enable each one (cycle through them) in each mkv, but none actually show any text.

So. None work.
OK. FWIW, MakeMKV was not involved in the creation of any of those samples.

I'll have a few more samples for you to try later today.

Edit there you go again:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/37259775/pgs_t ... 3_none.mkv
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/37259775/pgs_t ... 3_zlib.mkv
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/37259775/pgs_t ... 4_none.mkv
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/37259775/pgs_t ... 4_zlib.mkv
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/37259775/pgs_t ... 5_none.mkv
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/37259775/pgs_t ... 5_zlib.mkv
Same response as the other 4...

All 6 work on comp by default.

All 6 are not detected by default on o!Play (ie: they aren't "forced", and by "forced" i don't mean burned in).
I have to enable each one (cycle through them) in each mkv, but none actually show any text.

So. None work.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

OK. Well, I've run out of software to generate MKV files with PGS subtitles.

I'm not sure how that Avatar MKV of yours was authored to play on your ASUS device, but one thing's for sure: its support for PGS in MKV is very limited and/or hardly working at all.
zyonuf79

Post by zyonuf79 »

Romansh wrote:OK. Well, I've run out of software to generate MKV files with PGS subtitles.

I'm not sure how that Avatar MKV of yours was authored to play on your ASUS device, but one thing's for sure: its support for PGS in MKV is very limited and/or hardly working at all.

That last batch also did not work for me. It seems support for PGS in MKVs is lacking big time.
nfusion

Post by nfusion »

Romansh wrote:OK. Well, I've run out of software to generate MKV files with PGS subtitles.

Ok, so how do I find out?

In page 1 I used the tool you guys said to paste the Avatar details...

P.S.: Not sure what you mean by "hardly working", it has 4 different PGS subs and they all play, flawlessly.

Surely there must be a way to fix it......
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

nfusion wrote:P.S.: Not sure what you mean by "hardly working", it has 4 different PGS subs and they all play, flawlessly.
Yes, for one source. But all the other software combinations I tried (none of which involved MakeMKV) generated files where no subtitles are displayed on your device… for the record, all of the samples I provided will play in VLC, MPlayer, and on a PopBox V8 (as well as, quite possible, almost any other device made by Syabas). All the zlib-compressed versions will also play just fine on the WD TV Live HD, and apparently the WD TV Live Streaming too (as per Chetwood's comment). And probably anything else with decent PGS in MKV support.
nfusion

Post by nfusion »

So how do I find out how the other 1 was encoded?

It doesnt have anything to do with zlib or wahetver because both are zlib.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Romansh wrote:And probably anything else with decent PGS in MKV support.
Define decent ;)

I've tried 3 to 8 as well on the LIVE SMP and as already established only all subs are present as a stream but only the zipped ones are displayed but that only to varying degrees. #3 e.g. shows item 1 but lacks several in between. #6/#7 show all from item 2 on and #8 skips "Otherwise here is your room key" again. So I think it's not only a problem of the player but also the authoring. Since it's only a few items I could make a table to show what items are displayed if that helps to get to the bottom of this. What tools did you use to produce each sample?
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Chetwood wrote:
Romansh wrote:And probably anything else with decent PGS in MKV support.
Define decent ;)
Something like the WD TV (or the PopBox). Aside from the (arguably minor) issues you noted, it's able to display subtitles in all the zlib-compressed versions I uploaded. Compared to the ASUS player, which worked with none of the samples I provided up to type 5 (no reply from nfusion on types 6-8 yet).
Chetwood wrote:I've tried 3 to 8 as well on the LIVE SMP and as already established only all subs are present as a stream but only the zipped ones are displayed but that only to varying degrees. #3 e.g. shows item 1 but lacks several in between. #6/#7 show all from item 2 on and #8 skips "Otherwise here is your room key" again.
Not really what's being tested; given the source is in the middle of a seamless branching BD source (see below), I wouldn't worry too much about about the first and last 2 subtitles - most likely the issue would not exist if I used the entire source.
Chetwood wrote:So I think it's not only a problem of the player but also the authoring. Since it's only a few items I could make a table to show what items are displayed if that helps to get to the bottom of this.
Not terribly useful for what I'm trying to do here (find a way to mux PGS in MKV in a way that works on that ASUS player), and I bet the WD TV Live HD's behavior would be very similar, if not identical, to that of the Live Streaming. But feel free to do so.
Chetwood wrote:What tools did you use to produce each sample?
The source file is always the same; one M2TS file out of a seamless branching BD, decrypted with AnyDVD a couple years ago (no modifications were made to the file other than removing AACS, the source BD doesn't have BD+, FWIW). mkvmerge used is always version 5.3.0.

Type 1: created with HandBrake, then remuxed with mkvmerge GUI to set the audio/subtitle language (as well as to compress the subtitles in the case of the zlib version)

Type 2: same as type 1, but I used a patched version of HandBrake that does NOT merge subtitles packets (on Blu-ray, each subtitle is spread across multiple packets, whereas in MKV, packets should be merged so that 1 subtitles == 1 packet)

Type 3: M2TS remuxed directly with mkvmerge GUI; video & audio re-encoded with HandBrake; then merged the video/audio from HandBrake's re-encode with the subtitles from the original mkvmerge remux

Type 4: M2TS remuxed with mkvmerge GUI; subtiles extracted with mkvextract; video & audio re-encoded with HandBrake; then merged the video/audio from HandBrake's re-encode with the external subtitle file I got from mkvextract

Type 5: M2TS remuxed with mkvmerge GUI; subtiles extracted with mkvextract; subtitles re-encoded with BDSup2Sub; video & audio re-encoded with HandBrake; then merged the video/audio from HandBrake's re-encode with the external subtitle file I got from BDSup2Sub

Type 6: created with a patched version of HandBrake (discarding subtitles that are supposed to clear previous subtitles, and setting durations at the MKV container level instead); set the audio/subtitle language with mkvmerge GUI's header editor (without remuxing); zlib-compressed version was remuxed with mkvmerge

Type 7: created with a patched version of HandBrake (discarding subtitles that are supposed to clear previous subtitles, but without setting durations at the MKV container level); set the audio/subtitle language with mkvmerge GUI's header editor (without remuxing); zlib-compressed version was remuxed with mkvmerge

Type 8: created with a patched version of HandBrake (not discarding any subtitles, but setting durations at the MKV container level too); set the audio/subtitle language with mkvmerge GUI's header editor (without remuxing); zlib-compressed version was remuxed with mkvmerge

It's worth noting that types 2, 6 and 7 aren't 100% valid examples of PGS in MKV.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Romansh wrote:Aside from the (arguably minor) issues you noted, it's able to display subtitles in all the zlib-compressed versions I uploaded.
Unless they are animated like the Lord of The Rings director's comments. The name of the current speaker fades in and out, which is not at all shown on the LIVE.
Romansh wrote:given the source is in the middle of a seamless branching BD source (see below), I wouldn't worry too much about about the first and last 2 subtitles
Right, but what about #8 that's somewhere in between?

nfusion should really try to get some info on this on the official Asus forum.
nfusion

Post by nfusion »

Tried the latest batch...

No luck.

Tried my Avatar file again....... and it did NOT WORK EITHER.
Was wondering, what the hell, and I have two copies of Avatar, one with SRT and one with PGS.

I must have tested the SRT ones in my haste :(

So based on this new revelation, and to stop wasting people's time, I'm going to conclude that PGS in MKV doesn't work on OPLAY.

I wonder if IDX/SUB does though....
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

nfusion wrote:Tried the latest batch...

No luck.

Tried my Avatar file again....... and it did NOT WORK EITHER.
Was wondering, what the hell, and I have two copies of Avatar, one with SRT and one with PGS.

I must have tested the SRT ones in my haste :(

So based on this new revelation, and to stop wasting people's time, I'm going to conclude that PGS in MKV doesn't work on OPLAY.
That would be my guess too.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Romansh, have you seen this already?