trouble with Bridesmaids?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
crowfax

Re: trouble with Bridesmaids?

Post by crowfax »

captain wrote:I'll be trying a new BD reader soon, and will try to report back on how that goes. I don't guess there's much MakeMKV can do if the hardware won't read the discs, eh?
Correct. I have that same drive and didn't have any issues with Bridesmaids. Sounds like your drive might be marginal.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
captain

Post by captain »

The rip succeeded with a new LG blu-ray drive. My guess is that WarnerBros has figured out a way to keep older blu-ray drives from reading their discs. In tin-hat mode: I'd guess that they are deliberately hammering the drives with enough DRM crap to destroy the drives, requiring new drive purchases.

All I really know is that my old Plextor drive read ALL of my older blu-rays without any problem, but these new WB/RENTAL discs won't read in it. ALL of the tested discs read just fine in the brand new LG drive.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@captain

There is nothing unusual or complicated about the circumstances and problems you've described in this and several other threads - Your Plextor drive has clearly signalled to you that it is near or at the end of its useful, relaible life - whether due to age, quality of manufacture, quality of care and maintenance, or simple good or bad fortune, or any combination.

The suggestions made to you in multiple threads here over the past several months, regarding your multiple "read" problems, seem to all have the same underlying solution, "Give up the ghost and get a new reader/burner" - and I see in this post that you've recently done so.

captain

Post by captain »

Well, as MakeMKV is still in beta, I feel it is my duty to report what's going on, so *anything* that MakeMKV *could possibly* do will be implemented before commercial release. I'd bet there are *many* users out there who will not be happy to hear that their relatively new and unused 2009 vintage, Plextor, $250, drives are "broken".

A few things (e.g. the fact that multiple blu-ray discs from my *older* library rip fine on this hardware, repeatedly and consistently, but it fails with these newfangled ones) lead me to believe that this is not simply a case of "marginal" hardware, in the sense that it is worn out, or defective (well, maybe it is more worn out than its age would imply, but only because the !@#$ing DRM caused my drive to wear itself out trying to read crappy discs!), or that "Your Plextor drive has clearly signalled to you that it is near or at the end of its useful, relaible life". *Nothing* is "clear" here! I truly suspect that this is a case of DRM deliberately obsoleting hardware. I would really like to hear from those with real knowledge of what's going on, and not just a cavalier "get a new drive". I *did* that, as you noted, but that only solves my own, personal, problems with ripping.

But for MakeMKV to make it in Prime Time, it needs to know about these drives, know about the !@#$ing DRM crap that Warner, etc., are putting on their discs, and what needs to be done to rip them effectively, without breaking our drives. i.e. 1) Not burn the drives to death re-reading DRM sectors 8billion times; 2) tell the user what is likely going on, *in English*, and provide a logical, reasonable solution (e.g. return disc to Warner Brothers with a note demanding they stop making discs that break hardware, and cc your congressman); 3) Ideally, just circumvent the DRM entirely, and/or give the option to skip the drive-destroying sectors, but continue ripping (sometimes a rip with a small error is better than no rip at all).

#3 is really big to me. I have ripped several discs that rip for hours, build a multi-GB file, then crash, and delete the entire file! I would like MakeMKV to be more robust, and rsync like, in that it could retry the rip, and just *add to* what work was done up to the error point.

PS: I'm happy to run some tests here, if Mike, et al., will tell me what to do.
UFO77

Post by UFO77 »

no offence captain, but how does one make software to fix a problem that is hardware related?
i understand your frustration in having a relatively new drive not working as it should, but how is that something that MakeMKV has to work on to make it "prime time" ?

i think your frustration should be aimed at your drive manufacturer, not to the people here telling you as it is.

also, have you tried upgrading the firmware of your drive? maybe the manufacturer is aware that the drive has trouble reading newer BD's and has released an update.
i seriously doubt its a case of "purposefully making older drives obsolete", but more so a concerted effort to prevent pirating.
if the manufacturer offers a firmware update to solve your issue, great. if not.... well, time to call it quits.

you need to remember mr captain, that it's NOT MakeMKV's responsibility to make you aware of hardware problems and educating you on them. it simply needs to tell you that its a "medium error" (which it did), and then its up to you to find out what the issue is. the solution is for you to work out- and its not hard. its either the disc or the drive.
captain

Post by captain »

Less offense than some. Thanks for trying to not make this personal. ;-)

I'm not sure why some responses are attacking me for trying to help MakeMKV be the best that it can be. That doesn't seem productive to me. So, here's the deal again: EVERY disc from my library that I rip with the combination of hw/sw rips fine, UNTIL I try to rip these newfangled WarnerBros discs. This tells me that it is NOT a "hardware problem". Now, I could be wrong... and I admitted that possibility, and went out and bought a brand spanking new blu-ray reader. I STILL had troubles ripping these discs. So, this leads me to the conclusion that WB has figured out some new asinine DRM, and that MakeMKV doesn't know how to get around it - and/or WB has gone super cheap ass on the disc pressing, and their discs are riddled with errors.

My main point to Mike is that MakeMKV should be able to *gracefully* deal with these situations. IMHO, it should pop up a dialog when it encounters "medium errors", give it a FEW more tries (not burn the drive into the ground retrying a billion times) then continue ripping and pad the errors, and allow the *user* to decide whether or not to keep a rip with errors, or trash it and try again. MakeMKV should also tell the user about how much run-time was lost from the rip. It can't be THAT hard to estimate based on how many sectors have "medium errors". Finally, MakeMDV should translate "medium errors" into layman's English, and based on what kind of error it received, maybe tell us "this is probably your drive failing" or "this is probably a bad disc", or at least as much detail as it can suss out.

PS: that's "captain, sir!", not "mr. captain" ;-)