Seamless Branching Audio Sync Problem (Cars 2)

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
BigPines

Re: Seamless Branching Audio Sync Problem (Cars 2)

Post by BigPines »

setarip_old wrote:
I ripped the movie twice directly from the disc without using eac3to, demuxing, muxing, etc. In both cases, the audio was out of sync.

That's sounds like, regarding the procedure I suggested, you used MakeMKV to create a "movie-only" backup, rather than, as I stipulated, a Full Disc backup, to be used as your source for then using it with MakeMKV to create an .MKV.

If I'm correct in my interpretation of what you've done, I'd one last time suggest that you try the following:

You may have noticed in my last post, that I made my .MKV directly (No EAC3to, demuxing, muxing etc.) from my Full Disc MakeMKV rip. I'd suggest you try the same thing and see if your problem remains.

And, if the problem does remain, the simplest suggestion would be to exchange your disc(set) for a new one at the place of purchase.

Well I have to come back here with my tail between my legs. I did create a back-up as you suggested and then I ripped the movie from that and guess what? It worked perfectly! So I thought that is really strange. So I tried it my original way directly from the disc again and guess what? It worked again!!! So I thought, I must be going crazy...then it hit me...I always convert the MKVs to TS files before I put them in my library because they work better with my Popcorn Hour so I went to do the re-mux using tsMuxer and that is when the problem manifested itself.

So:

1) I take it back. I am an idiot sometimes.
2) MakeMKV works for Cars 2 as long as you leave it in the MKV container (which is not the best option in my case).
3) Make MKV still does handle the seamless branching of this disc differently than eac3to for some reason. This is not a good thing as it does something to the audio track that makes it so it is not portable to other containers. :(

I still see this as a problem with MakeMKV and/or this particular BD. We should be able to change containers without the audio losing sync. There must be one or more gaps in the audio or something. This is definitely not good for me because I routinely edit movies which requires me to change the container and transcode the audio. For these tasks, I will not be able to count on MakeMKV as a reliable rip. Bummer.

Mike
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

(Don't lose your sense of humor)
I am also a software engineer by trade and I am good at troubleshooting problems.

Now just work on those interpersonal skills a bit ;>}

Last edited by setarip_old on Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigPines

Post by BigPines »

setarip_old wrote:
I am also a software engineer by trade and I am good at troubleshooting problems.

Now just work on those interpersonal skills a bit ;>}

Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black? ;)

Mike
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@Big Pines
Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?

I'd suggest you re-read your posts...

I'll just leave it at: Glad to hear that your problem has been resolved.

BigPines

Post by BigPines »

setarip_old wrote:@Big Pines
Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?

I'd suggest you re-read your posts...

I'll just leave it at: Glad to hear that your problem has been resolved.

I suggest you re-read my posts (and yours while you are at it). My posts say I am having a problem with MakeMKV. I am still having a problem with MakeMKV. I have now narrowed down the cause of the problem. It is just a different problem than I originally thought. The problem is not resolved and I'm still hoping for a solution.

This thread was very civil and we were trying to help each other until you interrupted with a very unhelpful "Just use MakeMKV 'cause it is the bestest. You don't really have a problem." type of post. I am obviously paraphrasing.

I was man enough to admit when I was wrong. Even though I didn't have to, I came back here and publicly declared my error. No one would have known any different had I just kept it to myself but I am truly trying to help the community here - not just myself.

I again thank you for the helpful information you posted and I apologize if I have offended you somehow.

Mike
ignite

Post by ignite »

Wunderbar, however I still have this issue and I'm just making MKV's.

Do you think it might be my 1st gen wdtv perhaps?
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@ignite

Since your problem appears tp occur with ALL of your Blu-ray discs (not just those with seamless branching), it probably is related to your "1st gen wdtv". Can it be upgraded/updated?
ignite

Post by ignite »

Quicker than a quick thing being shot out of a well oiled cannon!

Now I just need a valid excuse for the old growler!