Create ISO from Bluray rip

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
graham.reeds

Create ISO from Bluray rip

Post by graham.reeds »

Why does the functionality for "Back Up" differ from DVD to Bluray?

What is the simplest way to create an ISO image from the flat file format the "Back Up" button gives?
dcoke22

Re: Create ISO from Bluray rip

Post by dcoke22 »

I don't know why the program's author made the choices that were made regarding the program's backup functionality. I speculate that creating .iso files of DVDs is better supported across the various platforms MakeMKV runs on. The actual filesystem on DVDs and blu-rays (and, consequently in the resulting .iso files) is UDF and blu-rays use a different version than DVDs.

I don't have any experience with it, but ImgBurn is generally recommended for creating .iso files of blu-ray backups.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Backup came first for BD; it was redone for DVD after people asked about "Why can't I get a backup of my DVDs?" I didn't even know it was there for some time, just using DD on Linux if I needed a "backup" of a DVD. I guess it was just because Windows thought DVDs were "special".
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

If you are on Windows backup to folder in Makemkv. Then run Imgburn and select the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folder to create the ISO. UDF file system should be 2.5.