Issue ripping bluray

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Kibbles

Issue ripping bluray

Post by Kibbles »

Hey everyone, just starting out and learning how to rip blurays!

I've started with my collection of Attack on Titan, the first 2 disks worked fine however I'm getting this reoccuring issue every time on the third and forth disk.

I'm not sure what's causing it. It happens at the exact same time, always identical frames skipped etc.

I've listened back to it in VLC afterwards and the English track is missing at those times.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!Image
Woodstock

Re: Issue ripping bluray

Post by Woodstock »

This is typical of a lot of "combined into one file" episodes. There is an overlap of audio (sometimes missing instead of overlapped) where one episode is joined to the next. On a normal playback, you would not hear it, because a player would skip the error.

MakeMKV is trying to correct it, pretty much the same way a normal player would (skip the extra), but it reports it when it does it.

Did you only rip the combined "track", or also get the separate tracks?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Kibbles

Post by Kibbles »

Woodstock wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:31 pm
This is typical of a lot of "combined into one file" episodes. There is an overlap of audio (sometimes missing instead of overlapped) where one episode is joined to the next. On a normal playback, you would not hear it, because a player would skip the error.

MakeMKV is trying to correct it, pretty much the same way a normal player would (skip the extra), but it reports it when it does it.

Did you only rip the combined "track", or also get the separate tracks?
This is the way I've ripped it so far, the other tracks are special extra stuff.

Japanese works fine, it's only English regardless which one I pick which has the issue.

Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

OK, you have the opposite of my habit. I rip the individual titles, and skip the combined. Your error reports are at the point where the tracks are patched together to make the bigger track, and Funimation doesn't always do those "right".

The seven tracks you have unchecked are the individual episodes (5 chapters each), and the checked one is "all of the above". The contents are the same, but the transition from one to the next can be very good (like the first couple of disks), or horrid (the ones you're having issues with). The reason the Japanese flows smoothly is that the original tracks were Japanese (they're also in LPCM, a different encoding method), and Funimation stuffed the English (DTS-HD MA encoding) in on top of that.

In this case, your choice is really which audio is important. I'd do it the way I did it, of course. :roll:
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Kibbles

Post by Kibbles »

Woodstock wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:13 pm
OK, you have the opposite of my habit. I rip the individual titles, and skip the combined. Your error reports are at the point where the tracks are patched together to make the bigger track, and Funimation doesn't always do those "right".

The seven tracks you have unchecked are the individual episodes (5 chapters each), and the checked one is "all of the above". The contents are the same, but the transition from one to the next can be very good (like the first couple of disks), or horrid (the ones you're having issues with). The reason the Japanese flows smoothly is that the original tracks were Japanese (they're also in LPCM, a different encoding method), and Funimation stuffed the English (DTS-HD MA encoding) in on top of that.

In this case, your choice is really which audio is important. I'd do it the way I did it, of course. :roll:
So turns out you were right, there were specials mixed in and sometimes the same episode twice which I haven't figured out. Saving the single episodes also fixed the sync issues I was having :D