M4V File Not Recognized By Plex Server

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Len_Jacobson

M4V File Not Recognized By Plex Server

Post by Len_Jacobson »

I had an MKV file ("Funny Girl") that was created by MakeMKV. It was very large (39.1 GB) and the playback in Plex would pause frequently. Very annoying.

I was advised to use Handbrake to convert the file to M4V and it would become much smaller (3.96 GB).

But thereafter, Plex would not play the file. It would complain with "The Plex Media Server can't find or access the media file for this library item at the expected location."

Nonetheless, I have no problem simply double-clicking on that M4V file and the Windows Media Player will play the movie.

Any suggestions?

Len Jacobson
dcoke22

Re: M4V File Not Recognized By Plex Server

Post by dcoke22 »

Did you rescan your library after updating the file?

Why does Plex Media Server say my content is unavailable?
Len_Jacobson

Re: M4V File Not Recognized By Plex Server

Post by Len_Jacobson »

Yes, I did re-scan the library after putting in the smaller "Funny Girl" file into the library. After all, had I not re-scanned the library, I wouldn't have even seen that movie listed in my library.

Now, having said that, I just deleted the "Funny Girl" movie from my library, re-scanned the library, and then copied that smaller version back onto the library disc. And then, once again, I re-scanned the library.

Now it works!!!

I have no idea why it didn't previously, but I thank you for the suggestion to re-scan the library.

I will take a look at the document "Why does Plex Media Server say my content is unavailable?"

Thank you very much.

Len Jacobson