Fake or Legit Blu-Ray?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Folan

Fake or Legit Blu-Ray?

Post by Folan »

Hello everyone, I'm still new to Blu-Rays and I got my self (The Lord of The Rings Trilogy) and had a problem ripping it since it was damaged during shipping and I could only rip the third movie (The Return of the King), I returned it and bought a new one and ripped it, but the movie looks lower resolution, has a green tint, overexposed in some scenes where the white hair has no details and overall a bit more blurry (worse than the first one). So how can I check if the Blu-Ray disk I have is a legit copy and not fake? They are both supposed to be the Theatrical Version, I haven't seen the movies yet, and other than the lower resolution, the color grading as you can see below is a bit different, and I want to watch it with the original color grading.

The First Disk (Upper Image) and The Second Disk (Lower Image) respectively,
Example One:

Example two:
dcoke22

Re: Fake or Legit Blu-Ray?

Post by dcoke22 »

The extended editions from 2012 had an intentional color retiming. Maybe this is what you're seeing?

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Lord-of-the-Rings-The-Fellowship-of-the-Ring-Blu-ray/19929/
Folan

Post by Folan »

dcoke22 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:52 am
The extended editions from 2012 had an intentional color retiming. Maybe this is what you're seeing?
Both versions are Theatrical,

This is the first one I had before returning it:
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Lord ... ay/300179/

And this is the second:
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Lord ... ray/92735/

I just realized that the first one was Remastered, is that the reason?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Regarding the first version you had, the remastered theatrical versions:
Randy Miller III @ blu-ray.com review wrote:Additionally, some of the color grading is different from the previous Blu-rays and DVDs, and the flashbacks from The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers are heavily desaturated to match the more black-and-white aesthetic of scenes from the Hobbit films.'
Based on the examples you posted, that matches up to my eye.
Folan

Post by Folan »

Thanks, but going back to the main question. In general, how can I confirm that a Blu-Ray copy is original?
segfaulted

Post by segfaulted »

Folan wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:13 pm
Thanks, but going back to the main question. In general, how can I confirm that a Blu-Ray copy is original?
MakeMKV shows details about the disc under Info -> "Disc Information" heading.

If it says "Disc type: BD-R" then it's a fake disc. A real disc should say "Disc type: BD-ROM"
initechpeter

Post by initechpeter »

Also look at the color of the disc on the back. Stamped or production Blu Rays are silver in color. BD-R's are usually a purple color.